Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
Around our house, we mostly stick to a handful of strong classics year-round: Manhattan, Last Word, Aviation, Man o' War, Martini, etc. But for Thanksgiving/Christmas gatherings with the extended family, we've been adding a "cider bar". A pot of warm apple cider with booze and spices laid out along the side so that people can customize their drinks and choose how much alcohol to add. It's totally "white lady instagram" stuff, but a hit every time: Cider Bar | Darcy Miller Designs - https://www.darcymillerdesigns.com/ideas/cider-bar/

Chaukisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 31, 2021
Northern Germany
Over here we traditionally have Glühwein, a mulled/spiced wine. Served piping hot.
All the usual Christmas spices go in there, I like it served with a good shot of dark rum. There are many different variations available, the mead based ones are especially delicious.

Glühwein-1200x900.jpg

But I prefer plain wine or beer, sometimes some spirits. I once made some rum sours, with fresh lime juice and sugar cane sugar. Pretty good. Straight vodka with lime juice is also pretty good.
But if you really want to get the party started you dish out a few double shots of vodka mixed with some instant ice tea powder/pellets. I did that once in my youth and there was no alcohol taste whatsoever, it was just sweet and fruity and it shot everyone to the moon. That sure gets anyone "intot he spirit".

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Around our house, we mostly stick to a handful of strong classics year-round: Manhattan, Last Word, Aviation, Man o' War, Martini, etc. But for Thanksgiving/Christmas gatherings with the extended family, we've been adding a "cider bar". A pot of warm apple cider with booze and spices laid out along the side so that people can customize their drinks and choose how much alcohol to add. It's totally "white lady instagram" stuff, but a hit every time: Cider Bar | Darcy Miller Designs - https://www.darcymillerdesigns.com/ideas/cider-bar/
I make apple pie (think mulled cider with vodka) and will keep this cider bar idea in mind.

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
I make apple pie (think mulled cider with vodka) and will keep this cider bar idea in mind.
Well-acquainted with apple pie here! We often use stronger stuff than vodka. 😁

If you do the cider bar, let me/us know how it goes for you. In theory, everyone is supposed to walk by and mix their own concoction, but in practice, my family members just ask me to make them one. I standardized on a pretty good spice mix and added booze (or not) depending on the person...

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
For dinner I’ll mix up a little raspberry or cranberry wine from the Amanas with some champagne on Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve - otherwise just a quiet single malt in front of the fireplace.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Buffalo

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2022
Central Nebraska
My wife, mother and sister are huge Harry Potter fans, so a few years ago I learned how to make buttered beere for them. It has become a Christmas tradition ever since. It's basically a quality ale, cooked with mulling spices, then an egg and sugar mixture is worked into the beer and finally, butter is added to the mix. It sounds odd, but is actually delicious. I usually make two batches, cooking one longer than the other, to reduce the alcohol content to basically nothing, so our underage family members can still enjoy a mug.

Reactions: ThermionicScott