PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

psychpipes

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2013
Nature Coast of Florida
Hey Folks,

I recently shared some Peterson Shamrocks I picked up to get refurbished as a project for my Dad and I. I got some great advice, and received them yesterday. They are in much better shape than I anticipated, and with the advice I was given I got the rims very clean. One issue I have now is that one of them has a large hole in the stem. It wasn't visible in the pictures as the original owner had apparently used a piece of clear tape to cover it. I do not think this is the seller's fault as the tape wasn't really noticeable until I started cleaning. It was coated in brown tar and was nearly invisible. Looks like a kitchen refurb job by the original owner.

I'm assuming it's not repairable. I don't have it with me to show, but it is large and possible too far down to simply hack and rebuild a bit. I do not have the tools or skill to replace the stem, so I'm looking for recommendations for a person who would be able to do it well.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
There are a number of options. It can be filled and reshaped, or spliced. If there isn’t a logo that you’re concerned about preserving, replacing the stem is probably the easiest.

I’ve done all three on my own pipes. It’s a good skill to learn.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I lost the link, but Norwood Pipe Repair did a good job of replacing a Vulcanite stem that oxidized every time I looked at it. As requested, Norwood did a tortoise shell acrylic that looks better than the original by far.

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
I have had good luck mixing black epoxy with activated charcoal for this application. I am rural, so I order most of my stuff on Amazon. 3 parts black epoxy and 1 part activated charcoal. Mix well. You can apply it with a flat head screw drive over the hole. Then, sand progressively... courser (240?) to finer sandpaper (Micro Mesh highly recommended).

Prices on Amazon: Micro Mesh $10 (1500 to 12000), Black Epoxy $5, Activated Charcoal $7

These supplies will allow you to patch probably 30-50 stems.

Reactions: vates and BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
what type of epoxy do you use?

I like the sound of that better than black superglue.

burleyboy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Europe
Here‘s part one of a video series by our member Georged on this topic.

Following his advice, I had made good experience with the West Systems Epoxy.

Reactions: vates

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Here‘s part one of a video series by our member Georged on this topic.

Following his advice, I had made good experience with the West Systems Epoxy.

The epoxy Georged uses, "West System G/Flex Thickened Epoxy", although more expensive, is better quality to what I have been using. I "borrowed" from Georged in terms of process otherwise.

Reactions: burleyboy
I sent off an old pipe that I got from an Uncle to get the hole filled. He used to smoke them with the hole, so his eye tooth could pinch down and hold onto it while he slept on the porch.
But, the patch popped out while I was smoking it.
I can’t recall who fixed it for me, but he was recommended from here. (NOT georged, whom I probably should have used) It could have been a fluke, but I have been wary of getting another pipe filled that I won on ebay that had a hole. I just had a new stem made, while my Uncle’s pipe is just a display now. YMMV

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
I sent off an old pipe that I got from an Uncle to get the hole filled. He used to smoke them with the hole, so his eye tooth could pinch down and hold onto it while he slept on the porch.
But, the patch popped out while I was smoking it.
I can’t recall who fixed it for me, but he was recommended from here. (NOT georged, whom I probably should have used) It could have been a fluke, but I have been wary of getting another pipe filled that I won on ebay that had a hole. I just had a new stem made, while my Uncle’s pipe is just a display now. YMMV

Sorry, cosmic. That sucks. Likely, the surface was not properly prepared/cleaned. That would cause the adhesive not to adhere. Also, some folks use superglue to fill larger holes. superglue is too brittle for such applications.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore
Status
Not open for further replies.