PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jship079

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2010
It might be the years I smoked other things but I just cant put my pipe down I heard it can hurt the pipe from the oils or what not on your fingers is this true? How much do you have to smoke a pipe for this to hapen?

buck67

Can't Leave
Aug 4, 2010
Little Rock
I have a bare wood Savinelli that actually uses the oils in your hand to darken over time. The more you hold it while smoking, the more character it gains. So......I tend to hold mine more and when the bowl gets hot, I hold closer to the stem.

menckenite

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 21, 2010
Alabama
If I couldn't hold my pipe from time to time during a sitting, I don't think I would smoke one. This is the main reason I've yet to buy a meerschaum.

mlaug

May 23, 2010
Iowa
I enjoy the large Danish freehands and never hold one in my mouth.
It would take jaws like a bear trap, but I doubt it would ever be comfortable.
The best pipe shape invention was the "sitter".

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
It would take jaws like a bear trap
I'm a clincher, and I hold them as well.

Never noticed any difference or wear and tear on the pipe from holding it in my hand.
The wife made a picture of me the other day and said "no pipe" and I must wear my toupee'.

I hate the toupee' and I feel naked with out my pipe:
1Ajaws.jpg

bowhatchie

Sep 27, 2010
Pstlpkr.....
You could smoke steel pipe with those chompers! Said Bond...James Bond...

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
I hold all of my pipes except one... The stem is already broken and it is so small I don't even notice the pressure from holding in my teeth...
I doubt there is any damage that can be done to a pipe from holding it in your hands. Even if there is, it wouldn't stop me from holding them anyway!

rxman

Lurker
Jul 12, 2010
Wisconsin
I used to be a 90% clincher and 10% holder, but after a recent almost catastrophe with a new meerschaum, it is now reversed in percentage. I actually enjoy holding the pipe while smoking more now, even my meerschaums. They certainly are none the wear from holding. The absorption of oils, etc. from holding is minor, and sometimes wanted on a "natural" finish. Just smoke and enjoy!

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I think I am probably 75% clencher and 25% holder if I am hanging out by myself at home. If I am at a pipe show and chatting with a bunch of guys, then I might hold the pipe more.
Although, it's kind of cool sometimes to talk with a pipe in your mouth. I do that when Bob calls me, but after he says "What?" for the 5th time, I take the pipe out of my mouth.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I clench, but I agree with Unclearthur that a pipe begs to be held and fiddled with. I love the tactile sensation myself. And I find a pipe to be a great accompaniment to telling a story. I'm Italian and talk with my hands like most Italians, so the pipe is a natural prop for me while talking.

hilojohnny

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
While I enjoy holding my pipe, I am basically a clencher....And while I articulate as best I can while clenching the pipe, the wife has learned to interpret "pipe speak" quite well most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.