PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rx2man

Part of the Furniture Now
May 25, 2012
From what I was reading on some other sites they gave long term customers the recipe. Would love to get my hands on that lol
The flavors are cherry vanilla and its a burley cavendish blend.

1adsarge

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2016
NE Nevada
Man! I would love to have tried this as I am a huge Tolkien fan! If anyone is willing, I would be interested in purchasing some. You can PM me :) Seriously sad to hear another small operations go out because of these FDA crap!
Cheers,

Jared

rx2man

May 25, 2012
Just to clarify, Hobbits weed is from tewksbury company. The rest of the "Middle Earth Serries" that just for him sells looks to still be avail. I just dont know anything about them but will look now as who knows how long they will be around for...

drydock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2016
I don't think it's a bad idea at all, if there's a local blend at your favorite B&M, to buy with an eye toward cellaring and/or future unavailability. My cellar's wider than deep, but I've recently started to go deeper with some small shop blends that I'd miss if they disappeared. Either way it's a win-win: you support a small biz and you build up your cellar with well-enjoyed tobacco.

rx2man

May 25, 2012
True but some of these small blenders are not cheap. There is usually a similar bang for your buck out there. I dont like paying $60 a pound when I can get something similar for half that.

rx2man

May 25, 2012
Per sablebrush
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/wtb-tewksbury-hobbits-weed?replies=8#post-1041282
"You could try mixing up something yourself as the mixture was made from commercially available products. The recipe I've received is 1/2 Lane BCA, 1/4 Lane Very Cherry, 1/4 Sutliff 1m Vanilla."
@ sablebrush, I was wondering what made up the blend. I have some, and I am pretty sure I have all the other components to make it. I was reading somewhere else that for a time it was blended with other components that maybe 20-30 yrs ago they were not able to obtain anymore. The years may be off......When they lost the original components they spent some time trying to reblend it. When they got it where they thought it was right they send out 3 blends to have long time customers to test. One of the 3 was some of what they had from the original blend. The customers all picked the new blend lol.....funny huh. So they used the new blend for the current mixture. I read what you said about the blend being made from currently avail components. I also read that long term customers were sent out the blends formula. So the recipe you have may be it. I will have to do a litte experimenting. Need to figure out how to get this right so ghosting does not interfere. I just dont think I have enough cobs to do it and not going to smoke a new nice pipe I have just to check this out lol........hmmmm

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Enforcing pipe tobacco deeming regulations by FDA, in the name of health, has negative cost effectiveness with this diminutive, older customer base, many of whom smoke a bowl or two a day, if that. Will this dawn on someone? Has it already? With issues like meth and opiate abuse, this redirection of funds looks very much like misappropriation. Can anyone involved say the word prioritize?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
@ sablebrush, I was wondering what made up the blend. I have some, and I am pretty sure I have all the other components to make it. I was reading somewhere else that for a time it was blended with other components that maybe 20-30 yrs ago they were not able to obtain anymore. The years may be off......When they lost the original components they spent some time trying to reblend it. When they got it where they thought it was right they send out 3 blends to have long time customers to test. One of the 3 was some of what they had from the original blend. The customers all picked the new blend lol.....funny huh. So they used the new blend for the current mixture. I read what you said about the blend being made from currently avail components. I also read that long term customers were sent out the blends formula. So the recipe you have may be it. I will have to do a litte experimenting. Need to figure out how to get this right so ghosting does not interfere. I just dont think I have enough cobs to do it and not going to smoke a new nice pipe I have just to check this out lol........hmmmm
@rx2man - Well, it's a recipe that I was given, and worth a shot. The story you recounted matches the one that is on the Tewksbury site. From what I've been told, they weren't blenders in the same sense as Russ or Greg. They played around with commercially available blends and came up with Hobbits Weed, so there's no reason that anyone couldn't make it for himself with the right blends. Hey, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

carver

Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
If anyone is willing to part with some of that blend, I'd be very happy to help you ... --> PM :)

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
I sent out some a few weeks ago in the pay it forward thread but if anyone is dying for it - I just found out I have a little bit left. It's just not my cup of tea.

Status
Not open for further replies.