PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaeljayjay

Lurker
Nov 18, 2017
Hi,
I'm looking around for some hobbit/lotr pipes. I know Vauen makes some, are there any others / any better pipes out there?
Looking forward to your suggestions :)
Thanks,

Michael.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Do you mean replicas, or just themed? I have a Missouri Meerschaum Cobbit pipe that is an excellent smoker, and a great value. I'd recommend that for sure. They also make two or three others all based on races from the series. Regarding replicas, there are some, although I can't recall them off the top of my head. Someone else will know!

Do they "have" to be labelled as LOTR pipes, or can they just look like something a hobbit or wizard might smoke? There are many churchwardens out there that would fit, IMO.

As with LOTR tobaccos, they are just tobaccos that someone has labelled as such. One could really smoke anything and call it whatever they want.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
It looks like there is at least a Warner Bros. licensed "functional" Bilbo pipe replica, although in my opinion it doesn't look very smokeable. I think in the case of mass produced replicas of LOTR stuff, you probably are paying for looks rather than functionality. That's purely speculation though.

upnorth1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2017
La Belle Province, Canada
I agree. You are buying a brand which does not necessarily guarantee a good smoker. A churchwarden by a decent pipemaker would make more sense.

https://www.smokingpipes.com/search/main-search.cfm

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The Vauen ones are great though, especially if you can find their earlier release replicas.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
The Danish Pipe Shop has the Vauens. I really don't think there is anything else worth smoking that is explicitly LOTR themed.
Castello makes something in the $500-900 range for Pipes2smoke. It's like a teardrop billiard with a LOTR ring at the stem. They make few and they are priced high because Castello makes them.

Jan 8, 2013
I vote for Vauen Lord of The Rings pipes and their follow up Aunland (The Shire) pipes. They're at least the most appealing to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.