PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Old_Woodsman

Might Stick Around
Nov 16, 2022
Hi everyone,

So I bought some Gawith Hoggarths Kendal Jamaican Flake (Dark Rum Flake) and it's my least favourite to date. I do enjoy GH coffee caramel, Petersons 965 and especially Night Cap - so what is it that my pallet doesn't like with the Jamaican flake?

Thanks...

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Jar it and set it aside. Come back to it down the road.*

You’re welcome.

*This is not intended for professional or legal advice and your results may be different than mine. If this condition continues to persist consult a professional.
It can be amazing how much different a blend hits you down the road. I've had blends I really loved and then meh... And the other way around. Not often but enough to not throw something out that I find slightly better then horrible.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I guess being a relative newbie, I was wondering what might be the particular flavour most prominent that I may not find pleasing.
Who knows? You have no idea what flavors I like and dislike. I have no idea what your palate is like. Could be anything but no one is better equipped to answer that question than you. Our palate also change, you could have been having an off day. Our taken some medicine. Or ate or drank something that threw you off. Give it a few days and try again, focus on what you're not liking if it's still the case.

ADKPiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 13, 2020
Adirondack Mountains
Maybe it's just not your thing.
I'd say the burley is not to your liking if it tastes like cigs to you.
As you call yourself a relative newbie I'd say it's typical to not like burley.
You will come around.
Make sure it's dry.
Borderline crispy.
Spread some out for an hour or two and then smoke it slowly would be my only advice.
Or just cross it off the list.

Reactions: Old_Woodsman

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I haven’t tried this blend—some of the GH’s go to nicotine levels I don’t enjoy—but I’m wondering if it’s the classic Lakeland scent that you don’t like. Have you tried a scented Lakeland blend to recognize what I mean by that? (Because the same equipment is used for all blends, it’s not unusual to get at least a whiff of the Lakeland flavor in even “unscented” blends.)

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Wait, you ordered a whole PALLET!!!!

Concerning palate, it is not really worth putting too much weight on the tasting of four blends, but it is worth keeping an eye on the components, cuts, and blending house of the smokes you do enjoy and continuing to explore from that point.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Hi everyone,

So I bought some Gawith Hoggarths Kendal Jamaican Flake (Dark Rum Flake) and it's my least favourite to date.

Thanks...
I LOVE rum.
I bought a rum blend which was highly rated on TobaccoReviews and hated it. Tried 2 bowls and couldn't finish either.

I'm also a chocoholic (recovering ;)). Bought a chocolate blend.
Again absolutely hated it.

I've decided that smoking and eating/drinking are 2 different things and flavours don't necessarily translate.

Reactions: Deano