McHenry, MS
Here's a cool historical reproduction wind cap for those with clay pipes
Untitled-1473463932.jpg

calabashed

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2015
Very cool, thanks for sharing!
Found on their site:
Handmde in the USA by Peter Goebel. Historic Reproduction.

This clever gadget is reproduced from two original covers: one from the British merchantman General Carleton which sank in a storm off Poland in 1785, the other from a museum colleciton. Pipe covers kept sparks inside the pipe bowl, away from burning your weksit or setting fire to your ship.

Jan 8, 2013
Wow, that's cool! Imagine having one made in silver. That would add some class to your clay. I wouldn't mind having one or more of these for clays. I'm checking out the site now. Thanks for sharing :)

cranseiron

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
Dang, Jay, you're digging deep for reading material-- I had almost forgotten about that post! :) I don't actually own a clay so have no experience with them. Does the small bowl have anything to do with difficulty in keeping an ember going?
P.S. My house problem was moderately bad, but could have been a lot worse. Should finish repairs next week.
Thanks, Anthony-- yes, silver would be very swanky. Maybe they can fabricate one, although I don't recall any silver items on the site.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Dang, Jay, you're digging deep for reading material"
Sometimes with an hour to kill I'll scour the old posts for interesting stories I missed first time around :D
Eric, regards the clay pipes I think it was more of a draw problem than the bowl size. I tried various packing methods but to no avail, just wasted tobacco...and I hate wasting tobacco!
Good news on the home front, those pesky termites can destroy a home in no time at all unless kept in check. So glad we don't have them here.
Regards,
Jay.

oldmansmoking

Part of the Furniture Now
May 13, 2017
UK
Cool clay pipe accessory from Goose Bay Workshops.com:

Love the clay pipe. I have no problem packing a clay I use a tapper to push the tobacco down, smokes to ash. Great for a short smoke.

img_00241-600x450.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.