PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

65chevy

Lurker
Jan 14, 2013
I was given one and past it on to my brother in-law. I cleaned up real nice and he smokes it from time to time.

it was 1960s needed a little TLC . shape pipe

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I have two Hilson Vintage pipes, a squat brandy / volcano and a slight bent prince.
Both are very good smokers, very light and nice grain.
I think I still have a pic from last year ... yep!
p1010029-600x450.jpg

Mar 30, 2014
wv
I have a Hilson Bolero that was my grandfathers. It smokes great. I wouldn't mind having another.

I read somewhere that a Texan bought the rights to Hilson, and along with that he acquired tons of precut briar from old company. So when you buy a "new" Hilson, it's actually decades old briar. That's a rough paraphrasing of the article I read about a year ago.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
The older ones are stamped made in Belgium.
I have had about 6-7, both new and old. I traded off three but they are great smokers. The remaining two old ones smoke really dry and they are very light. IIRC the same company that makes Big Ben used to manufacture them at one time. I plan on keeping them for a bit and I rotate/trade my pipes quite a bit.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
All:
Thank-you very much for your comments. I just purchased the unsmoked Belgium-made Hilson Splendid shown in the image below, and am now eager to try it! With the exception of the slight forward cant of the bowl its overall style is reminiscent of those of my Merchant Service Special and Wilmer Bel-Air billiards.
$_57.JPG

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Foggy swears by them, P&C had some New Old Stock pipes and they were snatched up quick. Sorry to say the only Hilson I have is an old Meer lined briar that is on the smaller size, group#3 , is a wonderful little smoker. Hunt your pipe is a Classy one.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
tbradsim1:
Thank-you, Sir! I so closely associate Foggymountain with Dunhills that it is hard for me to imagine him smoking anything else. Having said that, if, Hilson passes muster with you both, then, combined with the other comments above, I feel confident that I made the right decision to purchase this pipe.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
sparks:
As an unabashed Crosbyphile, one of my greatest joys as a piper is smoking Cornell & Diehl's Crooner blend in my Merchant Service Special. The combination gives me an idea of what Mr. Bing might have enjoyed, and how he might have enjoyed it, when he lit his pipe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've heard only good things about Hilson pipes, though I don't own one. Most of them seem to be

from inventory left over when the factory closed. I can't tell if someone bought the brand and is

making new ones, or if they are all decades old. I haven't heard any complaints about them.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
The current Hilsons are made by the Royal Dutch factory (Big Ben). The Hilson Vintage and Crown Achievement pipes were turned before 1980 but weren't finished until a few years ago, in the Netherlands, so even though they were turned in Belgium, they're still considered as products of Holland.
Russ

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I have a Hilson Giante Canadian and a Virgin Deluxe in a shape that, appropriately enough, is generally called Belgian. Both are Belgian production pipes. The grain on both pipes is nothing to write home about and the Canadian has prominent fills, but the engineering is impeccable.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Just bought my first Hilson and my first horn shape. I'm very happy with it so far. Not bad grain on this thing for a bargain level factory pipe. Now Have to see how it smokes.
97Yluqa.jpg

3TOUf6w.jpg

BY2n0SS.jpg

Jan 8, 2013
I have one Hilson. Smokes like a dream, so I'm not sure why I've never purchased another. Lovely pipe, Tuold. Enjoy the heck out of it :clap:

jaygreen55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2015
I bought 2 unsmoked Hilson Pipes on Ebay which I'm pretty sure came from the seller who's link and description I am providing below. They are supposedly 40-50 year old pieces of algerian briar and are unstained natural. I've smoked and broken in one of them and it is an absolutely fabulous smoker. At $70 each they are an amazing bargain. The bent apples are absolutely gorgeous as well
http://www.thebriary.com/Hilson-Pipes_c_32.html
Hilson Pipes
Exciting bent pipes made by the Hilson company in Belgium. Hilson closed in 1980 and was sold to the Royal Dutch Pipe Company. These pipes were made in the 60's - 70's era.
Recently these pipes were finished in Holland. They are natural with no stain. Most of these pipes have air holes that are curved which is most unusual for a mass production pipes. Assorted shapes.

Status
Not open for further replies.