PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
Thanks for clearing that up Russ. I said the 60's in my first post above. Still, the 70's was quite some time ago (I was born in 74 and just turned 40 yesterday) so that makes these some pretty old unsmoked pieces of briar. I can't wait to get mine in the mail :) Thanks everyone for helping me make up my mind on these. The one I purchased yesterday looked pretty nice on P&C's website. I can't wait to see it in person.

Aug 1, 2012
Tried the one I got a couple days ago. Keeping in mind that it's not broken in yet, it smoked a bit hot with a straight VA. Will probably put a few bowls of burley through it before making any judgements.

jthall

Lurker
Mar 3, 2014
I bought one from p&c also, a bent bulldog shape. The bowl is on the small side, but it looks really nice. I've only smoked 4 bowls in it, and liked it from the first. I think it's going to turn into my goto pipe for quick smokes. It has me thinking I need another pipe or two with small bowls... darn PAD interfering with my TAD.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Yeah JT. I find bulldogs and Rhodesians are my go to for 30 minute smokes, plus they just travel so well.
Sebastian Beo has some very nice looking pipes IMO, some with smaller bowls.

eastwoodaudio

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2013
I just recieved my Hilson bulldog today. I too was expecting the bowl size to be quite a bit larger, but my first bulldog is almost twice the size. :) It is a fine piece, I kind of want to snag another hilson or two before they're gone!

eastwoodaudio

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2013
As far as I can tell, all the shapes are still available on P&C, both the vintage Hilsons and the "Crown achievement" Hilsons..

Jan 8, 2013
Ithelouniverse: The pipe in my avatar is my Nording Royal Flush Ace. I had a thread on it here, but the photos are no longer showing up. So check it out on my facebook album. It will be the first pipe you see. https://www.facebook.com/anthony.rosenthal.7/media_set?set=a.10201686068819861.1073741826.1424066050&type=3

dd50

Might Stick Around
Nov 21, 2013
I love my "Crown Achievement" Hilson I got through the Build Your Own deal on IPSD. Beautiful straight billiard with a generous bowl, 3 bowls in and couldn't be happier. I'm eyeing the straight Dublin as well.

Aug 14, 2012
I have 14. The ones marked special grain are better, the others are just ok. The tenon snapped off on one because it wasn't fitted right, but that can happen even on Dunhills. I gave one to my wife. She likes it. Overall they are a very good buy, especially the ones on P&C for around $60.

Status
Not open for further replies.