High Grade Peterson vs Savinelli Punto Oro vs ???

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
Looking to keep it around $200, would you rather have a Peterson Spigot, a Sav Punto Oro, or something else with better value at that price?

I'm looking for something nice, not just bang for buck, but I also don't want to spend $200 on a dressed up basket-quality pipe.

I have two very nice Mark Tinsky pipes already, and I know I could get another basic Tinsky for $225ish, but I've always wanted a nice Pete Spigot or Sav Punto, as I'm attracted to their looks. I'm just not very experienced when it comes to pipes so I'm looking for opinions on current quality. Also interested in other options I may not know about.

Thanks!

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Between Peterson and Punto Oro (Savinelli, mid level) I have always gone Punto Oro. I really like Northern Briars at this price range too. Drilled correctly and finished with self-respect.

I understand Peterson has become much better of late.

I have a few Savinellis and I am really impressed with the quality for the price. My handful of Savs have all been very "good smokers" and the finishing seems great for the price point. I've got a tall narrow one (707 KS I think?) with a really charming rusticated finish that reminds me of tree bark. Of course it's just personal preference, but I really enjoy my Savs. Great bang for your buck around $100 or so. I can only imagine the finishing on their higher priced models would be quite respectable at their price point as well. They certainly have that reputation.

Reactions: sandollars and Kal

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
They really dropped the ball on those Christmas pipes.

I saw that. Lots of funky drillings. I do like the idea of the (lesser bent shape) Sherlocks with fishtails though. If I get a Pete it would be a straight or slightly bent spigot. Sorry I don't want to reveal the exact pipes I'm looking at. Too many eyes! lol

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
Just so we don't get too far off track, I'm not looking for the basic Savs/Petes, as nice as some of them may be. I don't just want the best bang for buck, but rather something special/fancier while still staying around $200.

I like the Pete spigots because of the flair/silver etc. I like the Sav Punto Oros because of the vetting and the looks. Obviously whatever I end up with would ideally be a great smoker too, but I understand there are no guarantees at any price point as far as that goes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
All brands turn out the occasional clunker, but between the two brands, Savinelli has done less of those, to gauge from complaints on Forums. I like my Petersons and have no complaints, but I've stuck strictly to the low and mid-range pipes, no systems. I think your best bet is Sav.

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
All brands turn out the occasional clunker, but between the two brands, Savinelli has done less of those, to gauge from complaints on Forums. I like my Petersons and have no complaints, but I've stuck strictly to the low and mid-range pipes, no systems. I think your best bet is Sav.

Thanks! This is another reason why I'm looking at new pipes, since I can return them if they arrive as less than I hoped from the pics.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Just so we don't get too far off track, I'm not looking for the basic Savs/Petes, as nice as some of them may be. I don't just want the best bang for buck, but rather something special/fancier while still staying around $200.

I understand that you are looking for a nicely finished pipe at around $200. My only reason in bringing up with finishing quality of the $100 Savs is to make the point that the quality is quite high for their relatively low price point, and perhaps that will translate to their higher end pipes as well.

Reactions: Johnny_Pipecleaner

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA
I've had several Punto Oros over the years and they have always provided good smokes.

For $200 you can find a nice Corallo di Mare Punto Oro on eBay. I have two (had a third, but sold it; just wasn't feeling the shape) and they are two of my favorite pipes and always in my rotation. They are no longer made because they were made by one guy in the factory and apparently after his retirement (death?), no one knew how to replicate the finish.

I have some Danish made Stanwells, as well that are excellent smokers.

I don't have any experience with Petersons except that I ordered one of the Christmas pipes this year and the one that I received really misshapen. Like, really misshapen. So I returned it.

Happy Puffing!

Reactions: Johnny_Pipecleaner