PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

1adsarge

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2016
NE Nevada
I have restored a few pipes now but I have not been able to get a nice high gloss sheen on them. I have tried carnuba wax and a couple other natural wood polishes that make it look nice but do not give it the glossy look I am wanting. What is the best way to get a nice high gloss finish on a briar pipe? Thanks for any input!
Cheers,

Jared

pipedreamin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 25, 2016
Are you using a buffing wheel and something like this carnauba wax bar?:

http://www.amazon.com/Beall-Tools-Carnauba-Wax-5-1/dp/B0037MM4PC

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Jared the most important part of the finish your looking for is the step by step sanding/finishing with the micromesh pads, all the way up though 12000. If you don't spend enough time with each step, no amount of waxing and buffing will get what your looking for. Also the SUPER GLOSSY finishes are a spray on coat that isn't very durable with long term usage, especially around the rim.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
What mcitinner1 said, plus a Dremel tool just isn't going to properly do a good job when it comes to buffing a pipe with Carnauba wax.

1adsarge

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2016
NE Nevada
What thread is this you mention, scrooge? I am needing some detailed direction to help me with this like recommended tools, pads, etc. The dremel has worked great cleaning up pipes and shining up stems, just not the high gloss I am wanting.
Cheers,

Jared

1adsarge

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2016
NE Nevada
Could you guys take a look at the two benchtop buffers I am looking at on Amazon and give me a recommendation? Also, could you recommend some good buffing wheels. I sincerely appreciate the input!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DZWR2W4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_wiJ7wbZVQZG84

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005R57J34/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_hjJ7wbY0MPFGH
Cheers,

Jared

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Absorb this link, 1adsarge.
When georged posts, people stop and and snap to.
Mr. Dibos walks in truth and light.
Fnord

I've always wondered why the heck guys on here are always polishing their pipes to death with buffers. Is it a compulsive OCD thing? Or, do people just treat their pipes like crap? I wipe mine down with a polishing cloth after each use, and I don't really ever have an issue with any of my pipes looking dull. But, then again, I don't go for the reflective glossed pipes either.

But, something tells me that a buffer used on a shellac'd pipe is not going to give you your desired results.

1adsarge

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2016
NE Nevada
Just to be clear, I am only wanting to gloss up a few of the really nice grain pipes I have and maybe some of the estates I find that need some restoration. I appreciate everyone's input. It has helped point me in the right direction.
Cheers,

Jared

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
You should ask P&C how they waxed their recently discovered batch of University pipes. No stain, just a waxing on the stummels. I'm getting one of these in a few days, I'll let you know what it's like in the Universe Pipes posting.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I've always wondered why the heck guys on here are always polishing their pipes to death with buffers. Is it a compulsive OCD thing? Or, do people just treat their pipes like crap? I wipe mine down with a polishing cloth after each use, and I don't really ever have an issue with any of my pipes looking dull. But, then again, I don't go for the reflective glossed pipes either.

But, something tells me that a buffer used on a shellac'd pipe is not going to give you your desired results.
I agree as I don't bother buffing my pipes even though I have the proper equipment to do so. However, I believe the OP's question was in regards to restoring a pipe which is an entirely different issue. Just as long as he doesn't buff it until it becomes an indistinguishable glossy blob which is somewhat void of any nomenclature on the pipe like shinypipes on eBay feels is noted for. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.