PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

greatdane

Might Stick Around
Dec 26, 2018
Curious to how people here would rank various British pipe brands, past and present. Any underrated brands that are often overlooked?

Reactions: BarrelProof

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't have a lot of experience with any of the British brands in general, but I have three pipes made in England:
a Ferndown artisan pipe, a smooth bent billiard made by former Dunhill pipe metalsmith and carver Les Wood; a Britannia factory pipe twin bore slightly bent smooth Dublin; and a Parker poker. The Ferndown and Britannia are especially good pipes, and the Parker is a good serviceable work horse. By comparison, I have about a dozen Savinelli and about a dozen Petersons and a wide variety of other pipes of a variety of brands. English pipes haven't been my focus.

Reactions: greatdane

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
My favorite British factory pipes are Barlings. Then Comoy, Charatan, Sasieni, Ben Wade - Leeds Era, BBB, Loewe, Dunhill, GBD, James Upshall, Ashton. Frankly, they're all fine makers. As for overlooked? Weingott, Charles Mass, Delacour, Imperial, Orlik, Parker, Hardcastle, Salmon & Gluckstein, and Tilshead, to name a few.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
My favorite British factory pipes are Barlings. Then Comoy, Charatan, Sasieni, Ben Wade - Leeds Era, BBB, Loewe, Dunhill, GBD, James Upshall, Ashton. Frankly, they're all fine makers. As for overlooked? Weingott, Charles Mass, Delacour, Imperial, Orlik, Parker, Hardcastle, Salmon & Gluckstein, and Tilshead, to name a few.
I’ve edited Jesse’s list.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Curious to how people here would rank various British pipe brands, past and present. Any underrated brands that are often overlooked?
^^^^ This 👍
I'd add Ferndown (Les Wood) to that list

Underrated brands: Blakemar. Good pipes at very fair prices.

dPero

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 15, 2022
Stafilic
Here you go 🌼

greysmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
I'd think you'd have to account, not just for makers, but for eras. Pre- and post-Bill Taylor Ashtons; earlier and Ezrati-era Upshalls; and the numerous iterations / ownership shifts throughout the Charatan, Sasieni, and Dunhill life spans. &tc. Pretty tricky task.

To me, early Upshalls are as near to holy grail as I know of. All other pipes are evaluated on their individual merits.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
The majority of my collection are probably English. I enjoy them all, though, and wouldn’t want to try ranking them. My favorites are Charatan, Comoy’s, Dunhill, GBD, and Sasieni. To be fair, they’re also the only British pipes I’ve tried so far. If I were to expand, I’d also like to add Upshall and Ashton at some point.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
While I’m not entirely sure whether they did anything other than stamp and band on French imports, I’ve found Albert Baker pipes to be good burners, both those released under the shop’s marquee or those made for other tobacconist

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
My Dunhill, Upshall, and Charatan's Make pipe represent my best in British Class. However, the vulcanite stems on the last two have everything not to be desired.
Upshall used the same Vulcanite supplier as Charatan, which was bought from the US. It was a cheaper grade, not top quality para rubber, but both companies were more concerned with the quality of the briar than the stem.
The Vulcanite arrived in big sheets which were then cut into strips for use in making pipe stems.
I learned the above from Ken Barnes, whose early duties at Charatan included cutting up the Vulcanite sheets on a table saw.