PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hobbs

Lurker
Jan 12, 2022
Central New York State
Hi to all from NE Penna and hopefully soon to be in upstate New York. I have been retired for just a year and am a complete newbie at smoking pipes coming from twenty-five years as a cigar smoker. For some reason cigars have just left me “bored” and un-entertained.

I had decided to try pipe smoking and went to a local tobacco store to see their inventory. Since I wasn’t sure if I would stay with this, I decided to purchase an inexpensive pipe. I purchased a cob for $10 and didn’t realize it at the time, but I ended up purchasing an MM Country Gentleman pipe.
Not having a large inventory of tobacco, I also purchased a pouch of Paladin Cherry and Cpt Black’s Cherry.

And obviously I went through all the trials and errors of learning to properly smoke a pipe but am enjoying the process and looking forward to learning a lot here on this site.

The real story of this enjoyable process is a bit of a long story and being an author (aka - like to talk a lot), I will post about it in the Beginners Section which will give you the option of skipping over it if you want. ?

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Howdy Hobbs, welcome from Texas! Good to have you here. There's a lot to take in on this site, so load a bowl, sit back and enjoy the ride! Btw, if you really want to discover all the fun, try a medium english, or Va/Per, and a pure Va... these are non aromatics that may open up a lot of doors for you. Also, you can't beat a MM cob.. good choice to start with!

Latakia Dave

Lifer
Mar 4, 2021
Shenandoah Vally Virginia
Hi to all from NE Penna and hopefully soon to be in upstate New York. I have been retired for just a year and am a complete newbie at smoking pipes coming from twenty-five years as a cigar smoker. For some reason cigars have just left me “bored” and un-entertained.

I had decided to try pipe smoking and went to a local tobacco store to see their inventory. Since I wasn’t sure if I would stay with this, I decided to purchase an inexpensive pipe. I purchased a cob for $10 and didn’t realize it at the time, but I ended up purchasing an MM Country Gentleman pipe.
Not having a large inventory of tobacco, I also purchased a pouch of Paladin Cherry and Cpt Black’s Cherry.

And obviously I went through all the trials and errors of learning to properly smoke a pipe but am enjoying the process and looking forward to learning a lot here on this site.

The real story of this enjoyable process is a bit of a long story and being an author (aka - like to talk a lot), I will post about it in the Beginners Section which will give you the option of skipping over it if you want. ?
Welcome from Virginia!

Reactions: Hobbs

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome from central N.C. As I often say, for the cost of one stick you can buy a tin of premium pipe tobacco that will give you twenty smokes, so it's a good move.

Reactions: Hobbs

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Welcome from Florida. Never light your pipe before checking the draw. You want your draw to have a bit of resistance but not totally packed. If you do it too tight then run a pipe filter through the stem into the bottom of the bowl and that should loosen it just fine.

For my tastes blends that are packed too loose and too dry burn hot and have no flavor. At around the half way point when half your bowl is full of ash, gently stir the ash and carefully tip the bowl to get rid of the ash. Then take your tamper, scrap the sides of the bowl, tamp down a bit and fire it up. If for any reason like tobacco getting stuck, don't be afraid of using a pipe cleaner to get rid of the blockage. There is no race to see who can smoke the longest without using a pipe cleaner. I personally do what ever it takes to get a great smoking pipe every time.
Good luck in your journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.