Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good choice. Give that a try for a few pipefuls and you will get a feel if you want to delve deeper into Aromatics or maybe try a non aromatic. There's a lifetime of choices out there.

I wished I had just started with 1 blend in the beginning. I could have save a bit of money.

Be sure to dry out your tobacco and go slow. Sip it like a fine wine!

Enjoy!

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Welcome to the forum from Knik River, Alaska! Try various blends, aromatics, virginias, english blends, virginia-periques, etc. to get an idea of what you like and begin picking out different flavors. Plenty of good cheap bulks available in 1oz portions to try at smokingpipes.com and the like. If you find some you might want to try, look them up on tobaccoreviews.com first for reviews and ratings! Also look up some youtube videos on how to load/light/smoke a pipe. It will be odd at first, maybe tough to keep lit, might bite your tongue, etc. Persevere! It’s worth it once everything clicks. Welcome again and good luck!

23FA74F0-4BD9-453F-AA76-1FE42BFE6B81.jpeg

I say work with what you got and concentrate on your technique. No sense in buying a bunch of what others like, before you understand your own taste. Once you've given it a good try; you can let us know what you liked or didn't like about the tobacco you've been smoking, and the recommendations will pour in like a flood.

Words I wished I had heeded in the not too distant past.... puffy

indoeuro

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Central Texas
I say work with what you got and concentrate on your technique. No sense in buying a bunch of what others like, before you understand your own taste. Once you've given it a good try; you can let us know what you liked or didn't like about the tobacco you've been smoking, and the recommendations will pour in like a flood.
Fantastic advice.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I read the reviews, but it doesn’t help before you’ve tried a bunch of blends. I thought I would like Va/Pers from the descriptions, and dislike burleys. Almost one year in, it’s the exact opposite. Maybe it’ll be different in another year.

Treat it as a journey, not just of discovery, but also where you end a different person than when you started.

Reactions: diamondback

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I agree with the try a lot of blend approach, even the ones that don't initially smell good to you. Soon you will find a type or types you like, then you explore them. The question isn't what tobaccos should I try, it's more, which ones are considered so universally awful I shouldn't try them.

Thepipehunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2020
WV
Try buying an ounce or two of various bulk tobaccos. Pick up some English, Virginias, Burley, and Aromatics. See what blend types you like and don't like. I think Cornel and Deihl, and Peter Stokkebye produce great bulk blends. And always remember not to shoot a blend down just because you don't like it at first. Over time as your pallet changes you and can pick up on more subtle flavors, you may revisit a blend and decide you like it.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
In honesty, were I to travel back in time and advise myself, I’d tell me to buy a pound of Haunted Bookshop, dry it out good, don’t pack my pipe too tightly, and sip it very slowly.

When you have that down, I’d tell me, buy up all the Esoterica, McClelland Frogs and 5100 you can and just sit on it until 2020 - ?

But seriously, there’s a lot to be said for exploring for what you’ll like and, as quixotic as it may sound, master smoking one blend until you’ve got that down.

ETA: I hate autocorrect. In fact I’m going to turn it off!

Status
Not open for further replies.