PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sawpod

Lurker
Jul 11, 2020
Nelson Bay, NSW, Australia
Hi Stuart from Australia,

I smoked a pipe back in the early 80’s then stopped smoking altogether when kids arrived that is until a few months ago when I have rediscovered the joy of “the pipe”. I always had a “hankering” to return to the pipe but always just didn’t follow up on it.

I had a Barling pipe that I had been give n by a good friend back in the 80’s and I had kept.

So I went into a local tobacconist (actually tobacconist is a stretch it was a cigarette and paraphernalia shop) and from their very limited pipe tobacco I purchased a 30g pouch of Balkum Riff Cherry Cavendish (which I had smoked back in the day) for $68 Australian about US$48 !

First change I discovered since the 1980’s we have a 70% tax on tobacco! So a 50g tin is AUD$104 the same as a bottle of Single Barrel Jack Daniels! I am now enjoying smoking Peterson Nightcap and Sherlock Holmes, plus SG Squadron Leader. I am awaiting some Elizabethan Mixture to come in so that will be interesting.

So I am glad this is a hobby not a habit - I am about a three bowl a week smoker.

I have also started a collection of Peterson pipes and now have seven preferring the “System pipes” and also I have started refurbishing some estate pipes sourced on Ebay, after watching some excellent Youtube videos on the subject and I am enjoying that a lot.

In fact I have been able to give my first effort of refurbishing a pipe to a friend who is interested in switching from cigarettes to a pipe.

So that is my story.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Be Welcome Sir and Best greets to Australia from Finland-EU
(ps.we are aware here that prices for tobacco products are horrendous out there in AU & NZ,meanwhile allow me to bring to your attention our current prices for basic, widely available standard pipe tobacco offerings which are anything but affordable:Mc Baren Harmony and Cassic mixtures 50gr pouches 26e/29$ US)Clan Aromatic 45gr 20e,
Amphora Full Red : 25e/28$ US)Borkum Riff Bourbon 23e, Half&Half 50gr: 26e/29$

Sawpod

Lurker
Jul 11, 2020
our current prices for basic, widely available standard pipe tobacco offerings which are anything but affordable:Mc Baren Harmony and Cassic mixtures 50gr pouches 26e/29$ US)Clan Aromatic 45gr 20e,
Amphora Full Red : 25e/28$ US)Borkum Riff Bourbon 23e, Half&Half 50gr: 26e/29$

Thanks for the welcome and insight. Ahh nothing like the limiting of free choice by selected taxation. :rolleyes:

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
Welcome aboard from across the ditch! Don’t let the outrageous cellar pics get you down. Who needs cheap tobacco when we have pavlova, crowded house and Russell Crowe...oh wait, they are all from NZ. ;)
I met a Kiwi once that even claimed Vegemite was from NZ.

I don't mind it but you can have that one (I'm only an import Aussie, 66% Dutch 33% Australian based on years spent in each country).

Briar Baron

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2016
Sydney
Welcome from Sydney! To answer someone else's question, I see folks handing over a AU$50 banknote for a pack of cigarettes and only getting coins in change.........

happy_lunter

Lifer
Jul 1, 2020
Vaughan, ON
Greetings from Vaughan, ON and welcome to the forums.

Although not as bad as the prices listed above the tobacco prices in Canada are also far from bearable, so I feel for you. Most of Canadians here, in my understanding, order form the US. How’s the customs in AU? Do they hit you with taxes on every tobacco order from overseas? Is there an non-taxable minimum amount that you could order without risking to get hit with the tax?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome from central North Carolina, U.S. At Australian prices I would be a three bowl a week smoker, if that. My rate of smoking is pretty glacial, but sometimes when I am truly debauched I will smoke three or four bowls a day. Usually more like one. It's me Scottish blood.

Reactions: Sawpod

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Is it true that Australians screw Kangaroos as a sport? I heard it was good fun. Just kidding, welcome to the site and I feel badly your government is even more stupid than mine although recently we have proven to the dumbest on the planet.

Years ago a company called Jack in the Box which was a cheap burger joint was caught using Kangaroos meat in their burgers. The meat was being sold by a company called Aj Cunnigham. He was caught and fined and I know this as my dad was his lawyer. Rumor had it the burgers never tasted better. Stay safe.

Sawpod

Lurker
Jul 11, 2020
How’s the customs in AU? Do they hit you with taxes on every tobacco order from overseas? Is there an non-taxable minimum amount that you could order without risking to get hit with the tax?
Apparently a few years back that was a regular thing you could import in small quantities but now they won't even let through gifts. So if caught you get hit with full duties and possible fines. Consensus is not worth the risk.

happy_lunter

Lifer
Jul 1, 2020
Vaughan, ON
Apparently a few years back that was a regular thing you could import in small quantities but now they won't even let through gifts. So if caught you get hit with full duties and possible fines. Consensus is not worth the risk.
Sounds worse than we have it in Canada. Sorry that you and other pipe smokers have to go through that.

Status
Not open for further replies.