Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
I remember when this wonder was first released - what a powerhouse and a taste treat in one. Prices were great, too. For a while there, prices went through the roof and seem to have settled back to reality in the last few years. This stuff is so good that many of us surely have gone deep in cellaring.
My experience with HH ODF - admittedly from one tin so far, is that with 7-8 years of aging, seems my ODF has mellowed significantly. So much so that I was not sure it was the same tobacco. Same flavors, albeit much more subdued, but not much strength. Smells like a million bucks, burns well and smokes well. Just very much seems to have chilled out a lot!
Anyone else experience this?

Reactions: Bowie and danimalia

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
ODF is among my favorites and I also wonder how it ages.
Anybody know when it was first released? Is it subject to the deeming axe?

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I believe ODF was released in 2012? It may have been 2014? I can't recall exactly and would have to look to say for sure, but I have a number of the original release tins in the cellar (the rust tins). It does mellow with age. The Virginia sweetens a bit and the smokiness becomes more subdued. The strength may weaken a bit, but not much in my experience. It's a great blend that seemingly gets better with age.

Reactions: diamondback

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Even at 3.5 years, I noticed tge ready rubbed version losing a bit too much pop for my preferences. Maybe dark-fired KY blends aren't the best for aging.

OTOH, bought a tin of JackKnife dated November, 2019, and found it a bit sharper than normal. Still quite excellent, but not as well married as I'm used to. Gotta find a sweet spot.

geo4

Might Stick Around
Sep 19, 2019
Yes, the entire Mac Baren HH line of tobaccos was introduced after the deeming date, although my two favourite blends from that line have already been discontinued.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
I remember when this wonder was first released - what a powerhouse and a taste treat in one. Prices were great, too. For a while there, prices went through the roof and seem to have settled back to reality in the last few years. This stuff is so good that many of us surely have gone deep in cellaring.
My experience with HH ODF - admittedly from one tin so far, is that with 7-8 years of aging, seems my ODF has mellowed significantly. So much so that I was not sure it was the same tobacco. Same flavors, albeit much more subdued, but not much strength. Smells like a million bucks, burns well and smokes well. Just very much seems to have chilled out a lot!
Anyone else experience this?

Mellowed significantly? ? I’ve got ~12 pounds of the stuff! Nooooooooo......

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Personally, I love the way it has aged even though it has mellowed a bit. To me, the strength has not gone down all that much, though I did not find it full bodied when fresh.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I’ve got about a pound of 2012 left, I haven’t found that it’s gotten all that undesirable.

And even if it had, I could alway blend in a little something to sharpen it up.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I think it’s any blend released > Feb 2007 (?) That’s said, don’t hold me to it just yet. Someone will be along with the definitive answer. If I’m not exactly right I believe I’m close.
Any blend entering the US market after Feb 15th 2007 must pass the Deeming process to remain on the market after August 8th 2021, or in some instances 2022. Blends in continuous production from before the February 15th 2007 date are grandfathered in. Blends introduced into the US market after August 8 2016 are required to go through the deeming process prior to being available for sale. Those were the rules when the Deeming Rules were published in the spring of 2016, with the exception of the date when blends which did not go through the deeming process were required to be taken off the market. That was originally August 8th 2018. The FDA later extended the date to August 8th 2021.

Status
Not open for further replies.