Hey Mayor, Can You Do Something About That Smell?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Sometimes I'm sure we have finally plumbed the lowest depths of stupidity....and that's when I hear about something like this.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
This thread just made me realize we haven't heard from "aggravatedfarmer" for a while, so I checked, and it's been over two months since he was here.

Aug 1, 2012
USA
I grew up in the country, raised animals and did the 4-H/FFA thing. You get used to the smell pretty quickly and it becomes something familiar.
Another smell that makes some of my co-workers "ill" is the smell of a repair garage with the heavy smells of dirt, oil and exhaust. Takes both me and my wife back to our childhood, hanging out with our dads who worked on cars for a living.
The mayor did the right thing with this one. Why move somewhere without knowing what you're getting into?

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
While the smell can be strong at times it's not as bad as some of the smells of the city.

I don't know about that. I've smelled some pretty stinky paper cities but even on the worst days that smell is nothing to the foul dairy air stink of liquefied manure being sprayed on farm fields. 8O

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
the foul dairy air stink of liquefied manure being sprayed on farm fields
That's the big companies way, and it's bad... The family farms that we're familiar with are not even close to being the same thing.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
And a family dairy farm in Sonoma was doing just that when I was there ten years ago. May still do. And, whoa, it fouled the air big time.

sw0snuff3r

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2014
I don't know about that. I've smelled some pretty stinky paper cities but even on the worst days that smell is nothing to the foul dairy air stink of liquefied manure being sprayed on farm fields. 8O
The smell from spreading liquid manure fades away after a day or two but hobo hovel, neglected dumpster, and fishmonger for example are a pretty constant presence in urban areas. Not to mention city bus. I have to agree with you that paper mills stink it up pretty bad though.

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
Might as well buy a house next to RR tracks and complain about trains.
Agree fully. Especially since my back yard, mostly rural property line is on the easement of 2 side-by-side VERY active tracks, and my front door faces a very active single track. That's a total of three chances to watch trains and listen to their whistles/horns blow. Oh, and the FD and PD are neighbors to us. We have a popular house for kids of any age who are still fascinated by firetrucks, police cars and trains. Small town life, you either embrace it or you leave; no point in complaining. :D
Same goes for farming! I have a high respect for farmers!

Status
Not open for further replies.