PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

rmcnabb

Might Stick Around
Feb 19, 2024
I really like Mad Fiddler, but it took a couple of bowls for it to hit home. It's a delight. In that series I also really, really like Awakened Elder - a super English - and am stocking it deep in my cellar. The rest I'm not too torqued about but I've only got so much mental and physical space for all these blends.

gord

Starting to Get Obsessed
I really like Mad Fiddler, but it took a couple of bowls for it to hit home. It's a delight. In that series I also really, really like Awakened Elder - a super English - and am stocking it deep in my cellar. The rest I'm not too torqued about but I've only got so much mental and physical space for all these blends.
I've got a couple of tins of Mad Fiddler on the way, but you've piqued my interest in Awakened Elder . . . I'm looking for another English to add to my stable. Thanks :D !!

Pooh-Bah

Can't Leave
Apr 21, 2023
Central Maryland
It sounds like that may have inspired "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" by the Charlie Daniels Band.
Lovecraftian theme, it would be Erich Zann.
A mute violinist who lived in... Zurich, iirc? Who played like a madman to keep some sort of unknowable alien monster(s) from stealing him away in the night.

Edit - woops, I saw "Inspired by" and jumped to "Correct the origin of the blend's name" rather than "Oh, talking about an actual weirdo violinist about whom that song was inspired"

gord

Starting to Get Obsessed
Perique, personally I'm a bit tired of its overuse. It's amazing by all standards; but is hardly a selling point to me anymore.
another forum member in this post said that I should try each individual tobacco by itself, ie straight perique, straight burley, straight cavendish . . . most available as blending components.

That's going to be my next adventure! Makes perfect sense.

tanless1

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 14, 2010
as far as intriguing names go, this one has caught my eye for the longest time; but I'm not really a habano guy....and the price point frightens me.

Attachments

• fighting-cock-robusto-band_7 (1).jpg
    fighting-cock-robusto-band_7 (1).jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 5

tanless1

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 14, 2010
another forum member in this post said that I should try each individual tobacco by itself, ie straight perique, straight burley, straight cavendish . . . most available as blending components.

That's going to be my next adventure! Makes perfect sense.
Absolutely

Reactions: gord
That was rumoured by many because of his phenomenal technique and Paganini himself fostered that legend, probably to the rue of the Catholic culture in Italy. But he was heir to that technique via Vivaldi, through the Frenchman Leclair, and into the late Romantic virtuosos like Pablo de Sarasate, the Pole Wieniawski, and into our own century with the violinist-composer Fritz Kriesler. Their techniques were derived from certain finger patterns that are above the discipline of prodiies and intuitives, who play primarily by instinct. They almost always disappear because they have neither the discipline or desire to work at the cerebral and physical side of performance. VERY few top virtuosos were prodigies.

Think NHL hockey players . . . . I know several, and they were not major talents in Junior or PeeWee, but had the desire and discipline. Very few prodigies, like Gretzky, had the desire to work hard and perfect their physical skills. This is the short answer. I have, in my teaching duties, put about a dozen students in professional orchestras, and they are NOT the ones that the soccer moms (they exist in the violin world too, believe me lol) pushed into destructive music festivals.

The difference between a violinist and a fiddler is similar. Very few fiddlers have developed technique. They play by instinct. In the guitar world, think of the "guitar bore" that entertains at parties and Segovia. The gap is that large. There are a few crossovers, but very few. This is the short answer as well.

BTW my good friend (now deceased) and NHL star Greg Polis, was a fine pianist. He was also one of the best checking centers in the league, and won the Rookie of the Year award in the Pittsburgh Penguin's team awards back in the 60's. God rest his soul. Greg was not a major talent in Junior, but wanted it and was tremendously disciplined.

I'll shut up and go away now :ROFLMAO:
Paganini knew his way around a guitar too! I dig his violin + guitar duets.

Mad Fiddler Flake smells like a cherry spice cake. It's a bit stronger than the aroma might suggest. I like it in a small cob, since C&D perique ghosts pipes for me (and fingers! they end up smelling like parmesan).

People who are sensitive to perique say it tastes like "red hots" (cinnamon candy), in a bad way. I don't seem to experience perique as peppery; I only get the stone fruit / chocolate / stinky cheese notes.