PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Mad Fiddler? Oh Man! As an ex-pro violinist, I just gotta try this one! :ROFLMAO:
O/T: There was a famous violinist, so I was told, that when asked what was the difference between a violin and a fiddle, replied, "When I play it, it's a violin; when you play it, it's a fiddle".

True? Either way, the alleged famous violinist?

burleybreath

Lifer
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
O/T: There was a famous violinist, so I was told, that when asked what was the difference between a violinists and a fiddle, replied, "When I play it, it's a violin; when you play it, it's a fiddle".

Paganini, perhaps, who was reputedly in league with Satan. Or am I thinking about someone else?

gord

Starting to Get Obsessed
Paganini, perhaps, who was reputedly in league with Satan. Or am I thinking about someone else?
That was rumoured by many because of his phenomenal technique and Paganini himself fostered that legend, probably to the rue of the Catholic culture in Italy. But he was heir to that technique via Vivaldi, through the Frenchman Leclair, and into the late Romantic virtuosos like Pablo de Sarasate, the Pole Wieniawski, and into our own century with the violinist-composer Fritz Kriesler. Their techniques were derived from certain finger patterns that are above the discipline of prodiies and intuitives, who play primarily by instinct. They almost always disappear because they have neither the discipline or desire to work at the cerebral and physical side of performance. VERY few top virtuosos were prodigies.

Think NHL hockey players . . . . I know several, and they were not major talents in Junior or PeeWee, but had the desire and discipline. Very few prodigies, like Gretzky, had the desire to work hard and perfect their physical skills. This is the short answer. I have, in my teaching duties, put about a dozen students in professional orchestras, and they are NOT the ones that the soccer moms (they exist in the violin world too, believe me lol) pushed into destructive music festivals.

The difference between a violinist and a fiddler is similar. Very few fiddlers have developed technique. They play by instinct. In the guitar world, think of the "guitar bore" that entertains at parties and Segovia. The gap is that large. There are a few crossovers, but very few. This is the short answer as well.

BTW my good friend (now deceased) and NHL star Greg Polis, was a fine pianist. He was also one of the best checking centers in the league, and won the Rookie of the Year award in the Pittsburgh Penguin's team awards back in the 60's. God rest his soul. Greg was not a major talent in Junior, but wanted it and was tremendously disciplined.

I'll shut up and go away now :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
O/T: There was a famous violinist, so I was told, that when asked what was the difference between a violin and a fiddle, replied, "When I play it, it's a violin; when you play it, it's a fiddle".

For a contemporary i would guess Itzhak Perlman who had that type of humor, met him a couple to,es a very down to earth man.

camaguey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 25, 2021
west indies
Regarding the source for the name , i suggest you to check the Lovecraft works because this serie is about his work. About the tobacco...i love it. It is a different kind . Spiced by the kasturi. Not for everyone but i like it. I smoke at least two or three bowls a week of this broken flake. Because being so different , i have two pipes designated for this tobacco only. Enjoy it.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Think NHL hockey players . . . . I know several, and they were not major talents in Junior or PeeWee, but had the desire and discipline. Very few prodigies, like Gretzky, had the desire to work hard and perfect their physical skills.
Great analogy that Gretzky himself used in an interview (stating a good hockey player can make the NHL with grit and sacrifice while focusing on only hockey, which most people can't do or are willing to sacrifice for).

Also, Mad Fiddler is part of the Old Ones series based upon the works of H.P. Lovecraft.

gord

Starting to Get Obsessed
For a contemporary i would guess Itzhak Perlman who had that type of humor, met him a couple to,es a very down to earth man.
I've actually heard that story, but honestly don't know what famous violinist said that. Could have been a number. Perlman is truly gracious, and if it was him, it would be with a twinkle in his eye, and a friendly laugh. Now Isaac Stern, on the other hand . . . . lol. Stern, for my vote (and it's shared by a lot of professionals) is the best of all. His repertoire was complete from the beginnings of antiquity, to the avante garde. His recording of the Bartok Concerto with Lenny and the NY gang, is the best ever recorded. And he could pull out the dazzle stops like no one else. Perlman ain't no slouch either - his Sibelius with the Pittsburgh Phil conducted by Andre Previn, is wonderful, his most masterful concerto recording. He's also terrific at the short pieces, where his engaging personality just shines through.

Last edited: