PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

HeavyLeadBelly

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 9, 2023
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
The hands depend on the day😆
I work streets/stormwater maintenance/heavy equipment operator-so I tend to do most of my pipe smoking at work, not in luxurious relaxing environment. Preparing up 4-5 blends in individual small tins that hold 4-5 group 2ish sized bowls each is done prior to my 4 day work week and tossed in my lunchbox.
My work environment is rarely conducive to rubbing out a smoke’s worth each time I want one.
What about running over the flakes with a bulldozer?

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
I got one with decent sized holes, and removed the screen. Depending on moisture of flake it works pretty well. Moister flakes I don’t want too dry, I cut with a straight razor to 3/8-1/2” length ad toss in to limit gumming up the grinder. VA flakes I just break to fit.
Works pretty good so far.
Grinder gum is a problem once in a while. A little 90% isopropyl will take care of it though. It’s just part of grinder maintenance. Once in a while I like to toothpick the thread grooves too.

I agree that bigger holes are better for our purposes

Duck

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2021
Edinburgh
Absolutely not, no way, no how. There's no such thing as a flake that's hard to rub out. With plugs and twists, if it's hard to rub out then you need to cut it more finely. It's that simple.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I suppose I am some kind of 'Plug Purist' in that all I need is a pen knife and away you go. I must admit the idea of using a coffee grinder to cut up twist does have a certain appeal. I would assume the resulting tobacco would be too fine. Maybe you just give things a short of burst in the grinder? I'll have to look out for an old coffee grinder at a yard sale and experiment.

Reactions: FurCoat

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
You can buy cheap electric ones on amazon that you charge up with a USB cord, i have a great one, very handy, never tried grinding tobacco in it and it's too late to start now as it's been used for other things, but beats the hell out of hand grinders.

I used to use an herb grinder to prepare flakes etc. but recently I splurged for a rechargeable grinder. Break up a couple flakes, drop it in, press down for 2 seconds, & the tobacco is ready to go!

IMG_9812.jpeg

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I used to use an herb grinder to prepare flakes etc. but recently I splurged for a rechargeable grinder. Break up a couple flakes, drop it in, press down for 2 seconds, & the tobacco is ready to go!

View attachment 321550
The one i have is a handheld, it was probably like 14 bucks, grinds up 2 medium bowls or one large bowl of ... tobacco.. at a time. So i could see something larger to grind up more matter at a time and have it ready to go in a jar.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
The one i have is a handheld, it was probably like 14 bucks, grinds up 2 medium bowls or one large bowl of ... tobacco.. at a time. So i could see something larger to grind up more matter at a time and have it ready to go in a jar.
Wasn’t long after I posted this that I got one of the little USB ones. I know a plugged coffee grinder would function better longer, but opted to not have another plug on my desk.
The manual weed grinder has seem very little (if any) use since.
At this stage of the game some flakes/plugs/twists get hand cut/rubbed out and some get the grinder.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
the whole manual preparation of a flake, plug or rope is part of what I look forward to some evenings.
At this point I can say I would have to agree, that sometimes the prep is part of the enjoyment. But at least for me many times I want to “grab and go”. Many of have half jar-length flakes, plug chunks, or lengths of twist, and half ready-prepped in the same jar.
As with anything in life, balance is imperative😉

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I pre dry a lot of my tobacco in "bulk". Then, when I'm ready, I can obliterate 2oz of tobacco with my hands, in about a minute. And I agree. The more broken up it is, the better the flavor and smoke.