PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
So I’ve frustrated myself with flakes and twists, losing enjoyment over not getting the pack right, whether fold and stuff, coins, rubbed, etc.
I got myself an herb grinder off Amazon last week, and thought I’d give it a shot.
I tried a few coins cut from GH&Co’s Happy Bogie Twist, with great results, and decided to grind up the last ounce (+/-) of 1792 flake I had since more in en route.
So far very pleased with results, but it is a little tiresome and can exacerbate wrist/hand soreness if that’s anything one struggles with.
I’ll try it on some more tobaks and if it still floats my boat I’ll probably invest in an electric grinder to do a jarful at a time.
This took 15-20 minutes.
6BCA8029-7D37-4D94-9914-566D50C6A30E.jpeg

Please share if you have had good or bad luck with such faffery.

Bbailey324

Lifer
Jun 29, 2023
Austin, TX
I 3D printed a grinder last year. I was surprised how much that changed the flavor of the tobacco, far more than simply rubbing flakes out by hand.
Any thoughts on why flavor was changed to that degree? I wouldn't have expected a significantly greater effect than rubbing out. Resultant size or aspect ratio affecting burn rate maybe? Residual monomer in the printing material maybe?

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Any thoughts on why flavor was changed to that degree? I wouldn't have expected a significantly greater effect than rubbing out. Resultant size or aspect ratio affecting burn rate maybe? Residual monomer in the printing material maybe?
The grinder produces a more even and finer result than rubbing it out by hand. It burns quite a bit differently as a result.

Lees65GTO

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2022
Texas
Maybe I will try an herb grinder. I use a small 2 blade electric coffee grinder and pulse it, it works ok but if the tobacco in moist the blades tend to gum up. It works great for McClelland 2015, which is a pain to rub out by hand.

I pretty much just try to avoid buying flakes these days. The problem is that I tried to meet the expectations of other members here years ago when I was stocking up my cellar, and now I have a ton of the damned things. And, plugs are the worst. I do like the C&D flakes and plugs, because they aren't really flakes or plugs, h aha. I can just break them up into tiny pits by rubbing it a bit.

I will just let others fold and stuff. I don't need any aggravation in something that I am supposed to be relaxing into. And, I do not find any joy in the hassle/ritual of cutting up plugs. I just want to dip my pipe into a tin or jar with my thumb, slightly press it and move on.

That's just me. I try to be uncomplicated.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
May I ask, why are you trying to pre breakdown everything at once? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of a flake? I mean like the tobacco oils and flavors locked in there. Isn't that like ground coffee beans like the store sells in big tubs as opposed to whole bean?

I’ll use the grinder on those rare flakes that need some extra help beyond the normal drying and rubbing to burn decently. I only grind a bowl’s worth at a time. I smoke mostly flakes and only need the grinder maybe 5% of the time at most.

Normally I can fold and stuff or just rub things out by hand.

hoipolloiglasgow

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2023
United States
I’ll use the grinder on those rare flakes that need some extra help beyond the normal drying and rubbing to burn decently. I only grind a bowl’s worth at a time. I smoke mostly flakes and only need the grinder maybe 5% of the time at most.

Normally I can fold and stuff or just rub things out by hand.
That's what I do too. Only break down what's necessary at a time. I guess for the OP it may be different as he has pain in his hands. May want to look into a coffee grinder. Even still though, I'd only break down what's needed at a time.

Reactions: Mr_houston

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
I don’t use them but have experience. If you want a grinder, the differences between a cheap one and expensive one is often vast. For reference, mine is only 2 or 3 inches diameter and was $55. Not cheap. For big flakes I would spring for one with a 4 or 5 inch diameter. (the dealer grinder haha). They are even more $ but will give you better leverage and is easier on the wrist. But the main difference is the quality of the studs, how sharply they are machined, whether they are diamond-shaped or if the diamonds actually have a subtle curve to them, which facilitates ease-of-grind. The threading on the cheaper ones is also not as match-grade.

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
Maybe all of the plume got collected in the pollen-catcher at the bottom? 🙂
edit: I noticed that the coarseness of the grind affects taste. I’ve found things taste better with only a quarter turn, or half , as opposed to grinding until consistency is achieved. Perhaps the smaller it is the hotter it burns so your not vaporizing as much essential oils as you could be if you left it chunkier.

Last edited:

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
That's what I do too. Only break down what's necessary at a time. I guess for the OP it may be different as he has pain in his hands. May want to look into a coffee grinder. Even still though, I'd only break down what's needed at a time.
The hands depend on the day😆
I work streets/stormwater maintenance/heavy equipment operator-so I tend to do most of my pipe smoking at work, not in luxurious relaxing environment. Preparing up 4-5 blends in individual small tins that hold 4-5 group 2ish sized bowls each is done prior to my 4 day work week and tossed in my lunchbox.
My work environment is rarely conducive to rubbing out a smoke’s worth each time I want one.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Maybe all of the plume got collected in the pollen-catcher at the bottom? 🙂
edit: I noticed that the coarseness of the grind affects taste. I’ve found things taste better with only a quarter turn, or half , as opposed to grinding until consistency is achieved. Perhaps the smaller it is the hotter it burns so your not vaporizing as much essential oils as you could be if you left it chunkier.
I got one with decent sized holes, and removed the screen. Depending on moisture of flake it works pretty well. Moister flakes I don’t want too dry, I cut with a straight razor to 3/8-1/2” length ad toss in to limit gumming up the grinder. VA flakes I just break to fit.
Works pretty good so far.