PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
Depends. If it is Ebonite you can use olive oil, or get some of the stem oils shown on the site here. If it is plastic, you must buff it, ending with jewelers rouge for the final and a light beeswax for the micro scuffs.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
well, i dont know what its made of. I'll tell you this though, is kinda smell like burnt rubber. I dont have a buffer, and I have no money aso I cant afford any stem oils.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
My problem is I dont know the stems material. Here, ill put a picture of the pipe up. The picture is before I used the magic eraser

308146_275287342492601_100000340116388_1009788_125599617_n.jpg

mattmars

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2011
If it smells like rubber, than most likely it is vulcanite. I did the same thing with an old Barling, but I love the matte finish for some reason.

hnryclay

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2012
all you have too do is buff it up with some rubbing compound, and then apply wax, repeat buffing.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Oxidation and lack of shininess are just cosmetic issues. Neither are worth getting upset over.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Here's the article I tried to find before but failed. It does requires you to purchase some materials but for the most part they are cheap. And bigvan is right it is just cosmetic. I don't worry too much about that stuff. My main concern is tobacco!

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
You'll have to get the oxidation off first. I do this with 1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper keeping it wet while sanding. Then the only true way to get that glassy shine you probably want (And I want as well) I use a buffer with white diamond and then I add a coat of carnuba on the stem to keep the oxidation from returning as quickly. Also, keep your pipes out of direct sunlight and always wipe the stem down after smoking. These will also help keep oxidation from returning as quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.