PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ithelouniverse

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2013
West Texas
Hey guys!

Hope everyone had a great holiday, and that the new year is treating you all well. It's been I well since I've been on here, studies have been killer.
So my question is, I have stained a pipe with fiebings USMC. A couple of coats, and want to sand it down, let the grain show, and hit it with a tan of some variety. Here's the problem, every time I grab the pipe, It leaves black on whatever it touches! I lit the pipe after each coat, let it sit for over a day, I went back and hit it with some alcohol to try and maybe knock off some excess. What gives? Do I need a sealer? Is it going to be like this until its buffed?
Thanks in advanced

-Lou

stvalentine

Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
I usually use alcohol based wood stains and set the excess on fire after staining. After polishing the pipe I seal it with a coat of Carnauba wax on the buffer. A lot of guys use Fiebings and I have never tried leather stain. Of course I am not sure but after all its made for leather.... :?

ithelouniverse

Dec 30, 2013
West Texas
Ember: yessir I have. It appears to be lessening as I go, so that's a good sign. I hand rubbed it with a towel for a bit, and eventually it started to clear! Is it possible I used too much in the initial go?
Valentine: valid point! What brands do you use?
Thanks fellas

stvalentine

Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
Valentine: valid point! What brands do you use?
Mine are "dedicated" pipe stains from DAN Tobacco Germany but I am sure any alcohol based wood stains will do. You can get them in powder-form in home improvement shops and mix them with denatured alcohol (at least here in Germany, not sure about the US).

ithelouniverse

Dec 30, 2013
West Texas
I've also noticed when I sand the rusticated parts, even with fin grain like 600, it doesn't just strip the dye, it really ruins the rustication as well. Any suggestions?

I meant to include this in the original question, but alas, I am a dunce...

dadgy

Might Stick Around
Nov 13, 2015
Fiebings USMC is notorious for rubbing off until it's been buffed a bit on most of the leather forums I've participated in. I make holsters in my spare time, so I've used quite a bit of this dye. You wandered onto the correct path with the clean terry towel, eventually it'll buff off that way. As far as your sanding goes, 600 may be too aggressive, as black will show every little scratch. I'd try 1500 or 2000, and use a soft brush to clean out the low areas in the rustication. Post pics!

ithelouniverse

Dec 30, 2013
West Texas
Dadgy: excellent news! I was worried I had made a mistake. The brush idea makes perfect sense, I'm embarrassed I didn't think of it on my own....

I will post pics when finished.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I only use Fieblings alcohol-based Shoe dye, but I've never tried the USMC (Black). None of my colors (Medium Brown), etc. rub off. You can buff them lighter, or wipe the pipe down with an alcohol soaked cloth. Most of the time I also set it with flame, buff with white diamond and then carnuba wax. I've never had any rub off under those circumstances.

ithelouniverse

Dec 30, 2013
West Texas
Jones: thanks! I've got another one here ready to stain, I'll give that a go. I have heard that USMC is a little harder to use than the rest of the fiebings selection. Oh well, live and learn!
Thanks to all for your help!

stvalentine

Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
I've also noticed when I sand the rusticated parts, even with fin grain like 600, it doesn't just strip the dye, it really ruins the rustication as well. Any suggestions?
I just give it a good go on the bench buffer or simply wipe it with alcohol saturated de-make-up pads.

buckaroo

Lifer
Sep 30, 2014
So. Cal.
Never used USMC. Seems like a great color though. Mahogany (Fiebings leather) is my goto and even without burning it I've never had that happen.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Please post pix!
I'd love to see the before, during and after shots - warts and all, ithelouniverse.
This winds up being a teaching/sharing forum as much as anything else and, God knows, I've made my mistakes. (Early on I lacquered a burner. A kind person said, "No, Fnord. Strip that shit off and "stain" it. Well, duh. I knew nothing about working with briar.)
Your humility is admirable, pal.
Fnord

Status
Not open for further replies.