Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

xrundog

Lifer
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
I restored this Withecomb's Wide Bore large billiard. Silver marks correspond to tobacconist T.R. Withecomb in Manchester. The UK seller had this designated as a 1914 pipe. I like to verify myself and am familiar with the English hallmark tables. I can't figure this one. The band is tarnished like, and presents as silver. But the marking are odd. Maybe it's not sterling? The stem is a push tenon with a slotted bit. Seems like the Brits were ahead of the Americans on using these stems, but the pipe looks more like 1920s. Other pipes the seller had were mostly teens and 20s as well. Here's pics of the pipe:

Withecomb's Wide Bore 1914 Restored 1.JPG

Withecomb's Wide Bore 1914 Restored 2.JPG

Here's a hallmark shot before the pipe was clean.

Withecomb's Wide Bore 1914 Before 3.JPG

xrundog

Lifer
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
Are you using a digital camera, or phone camera? Most newer phone cameras zoom quite a bit.
A digital. I have a basic iPhone 14 that doesn’t seem to do better. Even on my phone, I expand the pic and it looks pretty clear. The city mark looks like a seated figure with a cross, sword or scepter of some sort. Date block is a spiral or horn figure. The real problem is aligning what’s there with the lists. That’s why I was wondering if they are faux marks on coin silver or something similar. What I don’t know is that’s something anyone ever did. Like maybe Manchester was mad about not having their own marks and just did what they wanted. Seems far fetched, I know.
I’ll experiment with my phone and see if I can get a nice big fat pic.

Reactions: ssjones

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
I've got two Withecomb's Wide Bores. The second has a broken amber stem and I don't know offhand where in all this mess it is, but the first is a GBD branded Withecomb, though the silver ferrule (with system) has no hallmarks. I'll have to find the other and see if it's hallmarked.
1000022481.jpg
1000022480.jpg1000022482.jpg1000022483.jpg

xrundog

Lifer
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
I've got two Withecomb's Wide Bores. The second has a broken amber stem and I don't know offhand where in all this mess it is, but the first is a GBD branded Withecomb, though the silver ferrule (with system) has no hallmarks. I'll have to find the other and see if it's hallmarked.
View attachment 329429
View attachment 329430View attachment 329431View attachment 329432
Nice! Yours is obviously older than mine. The lack of hallmarks makes me wonder. Was Manchester thumbing their collective noses at the silver overlords?