PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
bentmike, the SG flakes in the tin are thin and compliant. The bulk SG flakes are like freaking beek jerkey and way thicker than the tins. Don't ask me why this is but dealing with the bulks is much different. I have to really cut small FVF cubes, not as small with the St James and Best Brown, but definitely smaller than any of my other flakes. If I don't the tobacco will never burn right.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I agree that cube cutting is a great way to go. It's idiot proof (as long as you figure what that particular flakes needs in terms of drying time), and is a great way for the beginner to start enjoying the already mentioned qualities of flake tobacco in its compressed firm right away. That being said, learning how to fold and stuff consistently is worth the time and effort (and the many failed bowls that will result) for the simple reason that it's so darned convenient once you get the knack.
That being said, SG flakes still confound me because of the uneven cut of the individual flakes, so I always cube cut those.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Also, I really get annoyed with the too common pipe forum tropes that amoratics are all bad or that English blends are the pinnacle of pipe tobacco, so I'll never say that rubbing flakes out is wrong if the smoker in question likes it that way, but I think some people default to rubbing out flakes because it's just easier sometimes. Go with what works for you, but definitely give keeping flake in its compressed firm (i.e., cube cut or folded and stuffed) a thorough try before making your choice.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I've recently converted to the cube cut method with flakes. Wish I would have tried it out sooner as it works really well.

Status
Not open for further replies.