PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This is the golden age of pipe tobacco blends, and we all savor information and opinions on the thousands of blends available. Unless you are reviewing or discussing one of the old standbys, chances are that few know anything about the blend you name. So, it is always smart to give a few specs just before or after you name the blend. Tell the brand, the genre and constituent tobaccos in the blend, where it is sold (at least where you bought it) the cut, and any other pertinent info. Members aren't going to do this each and every time they mention a blend in passing, but the more info you deliver, the stronger the interest, the better discussion you can generate. With most blends, half the members won't know anything about it, whereas jiminks knows all. But for the rest of us, a little background is truly helpful.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
This is the golden age of pipe tobacco blends, and we all savor information and opinions on the thousands of blends available. Unless you are reviewing or discussing one of the old standbys, chances are that few know anything about the blend you name. So, it is always smart to give a few specs just before or after you name the blend. Tell the brand, the genre and constituent tobaccos in the blend, where it is sold (at least where you bought it) the cut, and any other pertinent info. Members aren't going to do this each and every time they mention a blend in passing, but the more info you deliver, the stronger the interest, the better discussion you can generate. With most blends, half the members won't know anything about it, whereas jiminks knows all. But for the rest of us, a little background is truly helpful.
I guess I’m often guilty of not giving enough info.

That’s a fantastic idea! I always give the full name of the blend, but I will include additional information!

I do think when someone posts something cryptic like SPC PP, it does not help people. What is SPC ? Is it Seattle Pipe Club ? Is it SmokingPipes Dot Com ? Is it Sisters of Pipe Congress? Well I made the last one up, but you see the problem! :sher:

tech49

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2020
Hamburg Twp, MI
I have already found this to be helpful, and the practice makes the post more interesting to read.

I have come back to pipe smoking in the last year after about 25 years pretty much smoking cigars exclusively. I smoked a pipe all through college in the 70's, but growing up and living in rural New York State, all I ever had access to were over the counter tobaccos.

Now, online, I can get stuff from all over the world. However, in these forums I became a little frustrated when trying to find tobaccos that members rave about.

Not being familiar with the manufacturers, yet, I wondered who made STC, SPC, HH (as opposed to H&H), KBV, F&T, F&K and most recently what the hell was "curly block". Was it a tobacco name, a form, and who made it?

Having it detailed a little more by folks makes it so much easier to find and enjoy these awesome tobaccos. Also, from a new member's perspective, it's more inclusive helping us folks who are new to the forum (but not necessarily neophyte pipers) broaden our experience and feel part of the great community on this forum.

Last edited:
Reactions: BROBS

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd rather have people post than not, but some back-up info is so helpful and welcome. I'm guilty of using acronyms, as much to evade my intrusive and obnoxious spell check than out of laziness, I assert. But I will try not to, as much. Especially for newcomers, a lot of the abbreviations and lingo is unknown. Thanks for taking my suggestion in a positive way.

Reactions: tech49

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014

tech49

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2020
Hamburg Twp, MI
Or, interested parties can go to tobaccoreviews.com and get all of that information. Repeating this info with every mention of a blend would become very tiresome, at least for me, very quickly.

I guess, as long as you know what all the abbreviations stand for.

No, not an impossible task to Google around, search pipe tobacco sites, or Tobaccoreviews.com. But, so much more helpful to post something a little more descriptive than "SPC PPR in a KKKK."

And, nobody's saying there's anything really wrong with doing it that way. It's just more interesting. Frankly, I don't know where to even look to find out the blend components and background info, but I appreciate hearing from those that do.

Reactions: sablebrush52

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA

No, not an impossible task to Google around, search pipe tobacco sites, or Tobaccoreviews.com. But, so much more helpful to post something a little more descriptive than "SPC PPR in a KKKK."

And, nobody's saying there's anything really wrong with doing it that way. It's just more interesting. Frankly, I don't know where to even look to find out the blend components and background info, but I appreciate hearing from those that do.
I agree at least about posting more of the full blend name. Not necessarily a breakdown of the tobacco. When I first started on the forum and even now some of the acronyms and abbreviations can be quite confusing.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com

Fair enough. As far as components, etc, at tobaccoreviews.com, they're listed on the blend page above the reviews.

The abbreviation system can be a bit mystifying. It requires one to be an initiate to the arcane mysteries of the Pipeworld to be able to use it advantageously.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
sable and others, I see your point, and this could make for some over-long posts when the substance is a brief comment, but I think a few basic specs would actually help, and not turn many threads into a search on other sites. I don't expect links. I don't expect all of the information at every mention of a less-known blend. But knowing the genre and maybe constituents, and even a retailer, as appropriate, would be useful, and make the post less of a prompt to do a Google search. Bad idea? Maybe not so bad. A little information, not a review at every stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.