Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Unfortunately, there is no shape number on the pipe in the picture. It’s an odd pipe really. It’s very small, a nose-warmer really. It has that 4 hole stinger. And it has this “hand carved” style. BTW, can someone explain, was the “hand carving” actually done by hand? That couldn’t be, right? Some factory trick? I guess I am to gather that this is a late 40s early 50s pipe? If it could speak, what stories would it tell I wonder…
The hand carving was done by hand, a lot of the "factory" pipe process was done by hand and still is. The frazing was done by machine and most everything else was done to some extent by hand. I would also put your pipe somewhere in the war years. I'm not surprised by the lack of a shape number, things were done very hap hazardly during the war years. There weren't enough people or materials to make pipes at the level they did before the war.

milk

Lifer
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
The hand carving was done by hand, a lot of the "factory" pipe process was done by hand and still is. The frazing was done by machine and most everything else was done to some extent by hand. I would also put your pipe somewhere in the war years. I'm not surprised by the lack of a shape number, things were done very hap hazardly during the war years. There weren't enough people or materials to make pipes at the level they did before the war.
Fascinating! Thanks so much for these details. I’m really amazed and I wonder just how they could accomplish all this the way they did.

Reactions: RustiePyles CPG