PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Greetings, Gents. I just acquired this interesting old soul from my good friend, Ahi Ka. It is an old Brit Wood. The only stampings are found on the sterling mount "MK" to the left of a hallmark; Anchor over Lion over "G". The case has no identification whatsoever. This is quite the mystery. Any assistance for identifying the maker or other bits of info much appreciated!

IMG_7362.jpegIMG_7365.jpegIMG_7366.jpegIMG_7368.jpeg

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
If it is a repair and I suspect it is, it's a testament to how much this pipes original owner loved it. They could have easily replaced the broken pipe for far less money than it would have taken to repair this one. But he didn't, he loved it so much that he spent easily twice what new pipe would have cost to save this one. The silver work is very well executed and only adds to the pipes appeal. I don't think you're gonna have much luck assigning a maker to the pipe without removing the silver work though. Which I would not do under any circumstances.

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Perhaps, the silversmith is Michael Keating? I believe his work might be known for earlier than this pipe, but, maybe the part for the repair was done by him.

Interesting... Apparently Michael Keating had a son, Michael Keating II. I think he may be a candidate (see below)? If he registered is a Silversmith when he was in his 20s...

Screenshot 2022-12-13 at 8.10.35 AM.png

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
I think Keating unlikely given that he was active a century before this band was made and that his work was hallmarked to reflect his Irish location.

I know of several MK silver hallmarks but all are London, not Birmingham, and none (as far as I can tell) were pipe mounters.

On balance I think it more likely an English silversmith would be registered in London and Birmingham than an Irish silversmith would be registered in Dublin and Birmingham. But that’s a judgement based on limited data, not a statistical analysis.

A clear closeup photo of the hallmarks may not help but it wouldn’t hurt either.

Reactions: Humblepipe