PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Another Humblepipe-Ahi Ka Collab and we do intend to eventually sell these two unusual Dunhill Billiards. The two are identical, coming in at about 5.25" long. On pipephil there is an example of an older patented version from the 1920s. I understand there is a thread here on the forum here where a gold clad pipe nearly identical to the one posted here was posted and discussed. However, we've not seen an example in silver like the one below.

Stamping (underside of shank): "DUNHILL" to the left of "MADE IN ENGLAND" immediately followed by an underscored 7. Anyone with knowledge about this pipe's history/background?

unnamed-1.jpgunnamed.jpgunnamed-2.jpg

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
There's always been a certain type of rich guy who likes such things.

King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia was famous for commissioning a solid gold toilet, for example.

I wonder if enough $ waved in Dunhill's face got them to make something like that, or it was done by someone after the fact. Maybe Cosmic?

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Here’s some stuff pulled from the other thread. Interesting that this pipe was also from 1957 and decorated in the same style (gold covered shell, with smooth briar rim).

18A16F5F-35CE-4EAA-8E46-6839C678B93A.jpeg11E7B6ED-75BB-454A-B023-D5BEE10EE1E4.png

• Wow
Reactions: OzPiper
May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
It definitely plated... a layer of metal on top of a sandblast finish. Odd.
Right.
Lacquer on top of the gold leaf too? I'd be afraid of the leaf rubbing off, wearing away.
How about the sliver one, leaf too. I only ask, since I've never seen or heard of silver leaf.

Actually, the more I'm looking at them, I like them. Especially the gold one.

Reactions: Ahi Ka