PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

NC TX ID pipeman

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 25, 2021
North Carolina,Texas,Idaho
I got an older Dunhill in shape 722 and dating code after England is smaller zero underlined (like 1960 date) but there is bigger 1 behind it...Which will put it in 2001...But 2001 code would be just bigger 01....my zero is underlined and is small...It does not make sense...Thanks

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Without seeing the nomenclature it’s tough to be sure but typically a second nonaligned number signifies the year in which the pipe was sold, if different from the year of manufacture. That would suggest your pipe was made in 1960 and sold in 1961. But again, a good picture of the stampings would make the story plain.

runscott

Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
I got an older Dunhill in shape 722 and dating code after England is smaller zero underlined (like 1960 date) but there is bigger 1 behind it...Which will put it in 2001...But 2001 code would be just bigger 01....my zero is underlined and is small...It does not make sense...Thanks

Hate to encourage non-picture questions :), but this one is simple.

The small underlined '0' indicates that it was made in 1960. The big '1' indicates that it was sold in 1961.

NC TX ID pipeman

Dec 25, 2021
North Carolina,Texas,Idaho
Without seeing the nomenclature it’s tough to be sure but typically a second nonaligned number signifies the year in which the pipe was sold, if different from the year of manufacture. That would suggest your pipe was made in 1960 and sold in 1961. But again, a good picture of the stampings would make the story plain.
Thanks!I was thinking the same way...made in 1960 and sold in 1961..I have seen this shape made in early sixties...Shape 722...I may try to make a photo but its so small I am not sure it will work...

Reactions: lightmybriar

mav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 14, 2021
Chicago
I'm glad I saw this, I was about to start another thread asking the same question. I recently purchased a Dunhill Prince and the dating is a small zero with a line underneath it and then a one underneath that. After all my research I was convinced that it was made in 1960 and then sold in 1961 but I wanted to be sure.

One website said that they had a one-year warranty from the date of sale so they would stamp the sale date as well. Not sure why they didn't just use a receipt instead of marking up the pipe, but it was the '60s so who knows why they did that. ;)

IMG_20220528_193706285_HDR.jpg