PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
I was just gifted this Stanwell estate with plateau and am looking for any further info people can offer.
It's stamped "Stanwell", "de Luxe" "Made in Denmark" and a reg. No.
Anybody have info on this line? Approximate date?
img_0008-600x450.jpg

img_0007-600x450.jpg

img_0009-600x450.jpg

fullsizerender-1-600x428.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Handsome pipe, really nice plateau on the brim. As you likely know, Stanwell production has been moved to Italy, and though the Italy-made pipes have (to me) proven out well and remain high quality and true to Danish design, there will always be a premium on the pipes made in Denmark, as this one is. That's my contribution, but others will have more, I suspect.

doctorbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan
It's an older pipe, due to the registration number. The deLuxe was one of the lower grades, but that doesn't matter too much as Stanwell didn't put their own name on shite pipes. I think that is a heck of a good gift and embodies that particular design aesthetic Stanwell embraced so well.
Doc

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
I am very partial to the old Danish pipes. I hold the old Stanwells near and dear to me. That is a bute! Stanwell pipes with a registration number were made as early as the 1950's. Yours is a Sixten Ivarsson designed shape if I ever saw one (I've seen many). The shape number on the other side of the shank should end with an "M" indicating the military mount stem. It's also a traditional Danish chair leg stem. That's a fine pipe from the bygone era of Stanwell. Made in the time when some of the master Danish carvers of today were getting their start. Congrats on that pipe! Love it!

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
Actually I don't believe this would have a shape number. The old DeLuxe models were freehand shapes, the classic Danish style with plateaux rims usually and the ringed ornate stems. 1960's is probably accurate. I've seen them sell in the $1-200 range, not that you're interested in selling but just my two cents.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In the one or two hundred dollar range, I'd sure keep that one for the duration. It's a lot more valuable as a smoker than for sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.