Help. Six estate pipes, but I can only keep one. But which?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I think it's important to mention here that my friend's father is still alive.
LOL "Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated."
Wally Frank or Comoy would be my choice.

jeepnewbie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
Be a hard choice for me as I don't collect for value itself. I collect for the joy of the pipe itself. I do agree with the Comoy being really nice, however I don't have a Pete like that, or a Charatan or Wally Frank at all. I may go with the first Charatan, I like everything about it.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
MT:
I own numerous Charatan, Comoy's and Wally Frank burners but I've never smoked a Peterson. The Comoy's Tradition will more than likely have the highest resale value but my Charatans and Charatan 2nds are always amongst my favorite go-to pipes.
Fnord

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
I was fully prepared to be the only voice lobbying for Comoy in a choir filled with Charatan fans. What a surprise! I was going to go on about Comoy's being greatly undervalued. However, it seems the cats out.
There's only one decent thing to do....CHARATAN...DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

modtad

Lurker
Apr 5, 2014
I will definitely smoke each one before making any final decisions. Good call trailboss, and huskysibe.
ssjones, how can I tell the difference between the drilled and stamped logo?

modtad

Lurker
Apr 5, 2014
Bulldog and wyfbane, that pipe is definitely cool, and I don't have that shape in my collection. This whole conversation will probably change once all the pipes have been cleaned and smoked. I would rather be home working on a pipe right now than trapped at work. Is 36 too young to retire?

modtad

Lurker
Apr 5, 2014
peteguy, I tried to list all of the markings I was able to find on the pipes, so i don't think so. I will give another round of scrutiny later.

desertpipe

Might Stick Around
Nov 13, 2014
jlawitzke, you are a good man. And you hit it on the head....take the best of a man's Dad's pipes?? Not a chance.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
It is pretty easy:

The stamped "C" logo is recessed in a C stamp and filled with white paint.
The drilled 3 piece C logo is flush and you can see where the tiny black rod was drilled, inserted into the white "o" shape (now making if a C). First drill is a white rod (making a round white dot), then a black rod is inserted in the center, making it a O. Most of the time, the drilling is visible to the naked eye.
comoys_tradition_finished-10.jpg

modtad

Lurker
Apr 5, 2014
ssjones. thanks, great info!
And I have formulated a new plan with these restorations. Going to fix them all up, smoke them, pick one that I like, then replace it with an equally nice pipe from my own collection. Take one, give one.
The ciiiiiiiiircle of liiiife.

desertpipe

Might Stick Around
Nov 13, 2014
modtad, now that is a Piper's solution....well thought out indeed. I can not tell you how many men have related to me that they had no idea that their Dad's pipes would mean so much to them, and wish they had realized it when they were younger.

Status
Not open for further replies.