PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
makhor is right, the MM hardwoods are the absolute champ for a serviceable pipe for bottom dollar, or actually about seven. I like the straight version. It looks like Danish modern furniture and smokes well and is surprisingly durable. It doesn't have the folksy look that bothers some people about MM cobs, though I love 'em.
My MM Zenon hardwood quickly became one of my favorite pipes recently. I think I might actually like it more than my cobs.

Zamora

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2023
Olympia, Washington
I recently picked up a mini Paykoc for $45 at my B&M. I bought it for when I don't want to dedicate a full hour to smoking, also because I wanted to check out meerschaum and didn't want to shell out $200. I'll probably give it it's first smoke pretty soon, I'll come back here to report on the smoke time. I'm probably going to use it as my tasting pipe, at least until I smoke that corny flavor out of my cob.

Reactions: Relax62

Relax62

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2023
Texas
I recently picked up a mini Paykoc for $45 at my B&M. I bought it for when I don't want to dedicate a full hour to smoking, also because I wanted to check out meerschaum and didn't want to shell out $200. I'll probably give it it's first smoke pretty soon, I'll come back here to report on the smoke time. I'm probably going to use it as my tasting pipe, at least until I smoke that corny flavor out of my cob.
Thank you! I look forward to hearing how it smokes.

Reactions: Zamora

Relax62

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2023
Texas
Quick update! I bought a small pipe and while I was able to accomplish what I wanted, that is… a short smoke time. I found that I lost the taste I had just begun to appreciate in a couple of my tobacco, and I experienced tongue bite for the first time.

Question…could it be that these issues are due to the smaller pipe? Could it be that I have to pack, or smoke I’d differently than a larger pipe, or both.

Any feedback would be appreciated!!

Reactions: AroEnglish

Relax62

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2023
Texas
Couldn't imagine a small pipe smoking differently than a large one but lack of flavor and tongue bite are often caused by smoking too fast.
Thank you! I thought and am hopeful that’s the issue, because it’s a beautiful, well made Stanwell.

Zamora

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2023
Olympia, Washington
Thank you! I look forward to hearing how it smokes.
I just smoked it tonight, about twenty minutes a bowl. Had a bowl of SWR then another of Half & Half. Not sure those two are the best for coloring with how dry they are, but I can always smoke other stuff. Tastes very clean and lights up super quick, I don't even need to move the lighter at all. The bowl is just big enough for a Czech tool tamper, I ordered a nicer tamper with air holes off Amazon so I can tamp without snuffing it out. Overall I'd say it's a pretty solid little piece and will serve my intended purposes of a tasting pipe and quickie smoker well.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think it was mentioned earlier in the thread, but it is always easy to pack a half bowl in a medium chamber pipe for most of the benefits of a smaller pipe. A small chamber is probably better for the purpose than a partial bowl, but it still works fine. If you need a short smoke, or to sample something, and have a medium chambered pipe, half a bowl may be just right. Stay loose, adaptable.

Daddypants

Might Stick Around
Jan 30, 2023
Central Texas
Try a Morgan Pipes Bones. They come in lots of styles and range from small to medium size. Every one that I have purchased has a chamber diameter large enough to fit my fat finger in. Which is important to me. That isn’t normally the case with a corn cob pipe. Also, they are less than $50.

ParkitoATL

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2023
Atlanta, GA
I don't know if $52 breaks the bank for you, then, but the Rossi Piccolo 8313 prince model has been on my radar for a while. The chamber is about 0.7" wide by about 1" deep. I think that would be ideal for a flavorable, yet short, smoke.
I have that very pipe, and it was my first new pipe. Took a bit of breaking in, finally was BCA that did the trick to sweeten it up. The bowl is just about perfect for 1.25g of tobacco. I very much enjoy this little pipe. I'm always sneaking out for a 15 minute bowl in this bad boy!

Bikes&Briar

Lurker
Mar 22, 2023
Bay Area, CA
www.youtube.com
Missouri Meerschaum’s are great pipes. I’m also in the Chris Morgan Bones camp. For $35 you can get a really nice and unique briar that is perfect for shorter smokes. The ‘Lil Billiard would be perfect. I have 2 Bones pipes and I love them.

Reactions: Browny

Browny

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 10, 2022
Great Southern Land
Yes, cobs are cheap, but most have those horrible plastic stems, and end up in the trash.
The stems are indeed cheap and nasty, they do work for a while though.

I was given a chance to try a forever stem a fair while back now, and it changed everything. I really need to get my A into G and get some infact.

Or just hurry up and start making my own.

Bikes&Briar

Lurker
Mar 22, 2023
Bay Area, CA
www.youtube.com
The stems are indeed cheap and nasty, they do work for a while though.

I was given a chance to try a forever stem a fair while back now, and it changed everything. I really need to get my A into G and get some infact.

Or just hurry up and start making my own.
Not all Corn Cob pipes have the cheap plastic stems. The $18 Country Gentleman I just picked up does, and I could see teeth marks all over it before I even finished my introductory smoke. But two others I bought have really nice acrylic stems. Of course those cost more. Around $36. For that price you can get a Morgan Bones which is briar and should last longer.

Reactions: Browny

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Not all Corn Cob pipes have the cheap plastic stems. The $18 Country Gentleman I just picked up does, and I could see teeth marks all over it before I even finished my introductory smoke. But two others I bought have really nice acrylic stems. Of course those cost more. Around $36. For that price you can get a Morgan Bones which is briar and should last longer.
Are Country Gentlemans now $18? That’s quite high.

Reactions: MattRVA