PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
I like small-ish pipes, but often they're not any cheaper than full-sized briars of the same quality level. (For example, a Dr Grabow Lark is about the same price as a Dr Grabow Omega, Savinelli Minutos are ~$100, etc.) I notice that a lot of those Ropps and Peterson Juniors have narrower bowls, but make up for it with taller chambers. You'll want to scrutinize the numbers before buying anything.

For quick smokes, I keep coming back to one or more of these things: shag or ribbon cut tobacco, a regular-sized pipe packed halfway full, or packed fully with a tobacco that doesn't penalize me if I put the pipe down and resume the bowl later on.

Smoking half-bowls can have some advantages; it can help in building cake at the heel, and is less susceptible to the effects of wind. puffy

Last edited:

Relax62

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2023
Texas
I'd go with a cob or fill a regular pipe I own 1/3 to 1/2 full. The problem with small is you also end up with a smaller bowl ID. This changes the characteristics of the blend you're smoking. May as well smoke a small cigar or a cigarette because what you're really saying is you want a nicotine hit.
@hoosierpipeguy
Well, actually I’m not looking for the nic hit, I was hoping to get the same enjoyment as I do with my evening smoke, but you’ve made a great point. I’m pretty new to this and thought there may be something out there that would accomplish that same experience in a shorter amount of time.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Peterson has just put out a "Junior" series of smaller straight rusticated pipes of various shape for about $78 that might fill the bill. I'd never seen them before, and now I've just seen them on SP. You might want to take a look.

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
Last edited:
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
@hoosierpipeguy
Well, actually I’m not looking for the nic hit, I was hoping to get the same enjoyment as I do with my evening smoke, but you’ve made a great point. I’m pretty new to this and thought there may be something out there that would accomplish that same experience in a shorter amount of time.
What else do you know of where you take shortcuts and get the same enjoyment? Ain't going to happen. At least to the same extent. Try a cob for $10. Buy one of the small briar pipes people have suggested. The enjoyment may be close enough to satisfy you. Modest investment to experiment a bit.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
What else do you know of where you take shortcuts and get the same enjoyment? Ain't going to happen. At least to the same extent. Try a cob for $10. Buy one of the small briar pipes people have suggested. The enjoyment may be close enough to satisfy you. Modest investment to experiment a bit.
Cobs are a good suggestion for a cheap solution

If you’re open to estates, you can find nice briars for less than $50 delivered

French briars tend to be on the smaller side
As are old Britwoods

EBD31CF9-E486-463B-9A18-22CA1E7405D1.jpeg
F50920DC-2E37-4317-B706-3BC1B905A798.jpeg

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit

Relax62

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2023
Texas

Relax62

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2023
Texas
I don't know if $52 breaks the bank for you, then, but the Rossi Piccolo 8313 prince model has been on my radar for a while. The chamber is about 0.7" wide by about 1" deep. I think that would be ideal for a flavorable, yet short, smoke.

(Hard to get a decent new briar for much less than that, for any size!)
That looks nice… seems like what I’m looking for. Thanks for the link!

Reactions: ThermionicScott

Relax62

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2023
Texas
Agreed! I’ll probably try a Cobb. But you are correct.., in most cases, you get what you pay for. Thanks for sharing your experience. I’d rather spend a little more, or load 1/2 pipe, than to buy several cheaper ones only to find it was a waste of time and $$. But several have mentioned a Cobb, which I’d like to have in my collection anyway.

Reactions: yanoJL

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
I smoke my 5 MM cobs more than any of my briars. I usually have a Missouri Pride and a polished Morgan in a two pipe case with 3-4 blends on hand in my lunchbox at work and smoke 4-6 smokes per shift under field construction conditions. The narrow chambered Eaton works well for quick smokes too.
My briars don’t keep up nearly as well, my meer lined Kaywoodie Lovat fits the small pipe, but I’d hate to trash it in an on the job accident, whereas it’s $20 to replace a MM cob (and that include an ounce or two of more tobacco to try😆).

But I’m new to this, so I may be misguided…YMMV

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I smoke my 5 MM cobs more than any of my briars. I usually have a Missouri Pride and a polished Morgan in a two pipe case with 3-4 blends on hand in my lunchbox at work and smoke 4-6 smokes per shift under field construction conditions. The narrow chambered Eaton works well for quick smokes too.
My briars don’t keep up nearly as well, my meer lined Kaywoodie Lovat fits the small pipe, but I’d hate to trash it in an on the job accident, whereas it’s $20 to replace a MM cob (and that include an ounce or two of more tobacco to try😆).

But I’m new to this, so I may be misguided…YMMV
If I were smoking "under field construction conditions" I suspect I would become distracted and let the pipe drop from my mouth. I don't know from experience, but I also suspect that a dropped cob won't break as easily as a dropped briar or meerschaum. puffy

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
makhor is right, the MM hardwoods are the absolute champ for a serviceable pipe for bottom dollar, or actually about seven. I like the straight version. It looks like Danish modern furniture and smokes well and is surprisingly durable. It doesn't have the folksy look that bothers some people about MM cobs, though I love 'em.