PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2014
All the practical advice Shutterbug has given is consistent with my experiences. A lot of advice that is given with universal implications is actually more specific.
Of course Five Brothers burns well, and Hearth and Home seems to ship their tins at just about the perfect moisture level, but the idea that everything needs drying is certainly not universal, and re-lights actually weren't even mentioned in the OP, I assume the tobacco is burning just fine, the tongue bite is probably just from puffing too hard and too often.
And yes, Aromatics tend to taste good for only the first 2/3 of the bowl, as soon as something tastes off dumping it is normally recommended. There may be some Aromatics that buck the trend and last longer, but I'm not even sure which I would actually value more if the sticky mess Aromatic has a better first half.

May 4, 2015
I assume the tobacco is burning just fine, the tongue bite is probably just from puffing too hard and too often.
Probably so. I'm in agreement everything doesn't need drying, especially if it just won't.
I smoke a lot of Carter Hall, and it won't dry, as you mentioned. It's "wet" I suppose by many standards, but it doesn't steam me up like blends that are wet with water.
I want to love Squadron Leader, for example, but my first bowl of that was a chore. After drying it for several days in the tin (which I feel like I shouldn't have to deal with) it became smokeable and was tasty. If I can't buy it at the B&M and smoke it on the spot, I don't think as fondly on a blend, though.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Tom, I suspect you wouldn't get on too well with Samuel Gawith or Gawith & Hoggarth loose blends then as they almost universally need some drying time. Anything from an hour or two to being left open overnight!
That said, in my opinion those two blending houses make some of the finest tobaccos you will ever encounter, FVF, Brown Sugar Flake and St. James Plug being among my personal favourites.
Right now I am smoking some Kendal Plug I cut and rubbed out last night, well worth the wait :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

May 4, 2015
Their quality is not in question, that's for sure. I've quite liked everything I've tried from them. I can't wrap my brain around why they feel like they need to send their blends out sopping wet, though. I'm sure they have a reason, I just would like to know what it is!

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
"DIDO"?
I thought I knew most of the pipe-related acronyms, but I haven't come across that one before.
Can anyone explain?

May 4, 2015
Dido (/ˈdaɪdoʊ/ DY-doh, Latin pronunciation: [ˈdiːdoː]) was, according to ancient Greek and Roman sources, the founder and first queen of Carthage (in modern-day Tunisia). She is primarily known from the account given by the Roman poet Virgil in his epic, Aeneid. In some sources she is also known as Elissa
Dido was also known to recommend drying your tobacco and smoking more slowly for more enjoyment.

stoneheaven

Lurker
Jan 21, 2017
Slow down. If you can't "taste" the tobacco, you might be a person who prefers heartier tobaccos, so try a heavier blend. Your tobacconist should be able to guide you in finding one that satisfies. Nothing beats trial and error.

Status
Not open for further replies.