PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Greetings friends,

Also, note that I am in Uganda with limited supplies... (no pipe shop here.) I have searched for rubbing/isopropyl alcohol worth no luck (I think it's all being used for hand-sanitizer... covid wins again.)

The only alcohol I have is a bottle of Uganda Waragi someone me.

Thanks in advance.
The pipe may be ready for a good soak in ozone.
Gents,
The OP mentioned that he was in Uganda and problem with limited supplies.
An ozone generator may be a big ask :rolleyes:

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Gents,
The OP mentioned that he was in Uganda and problem with limited supplies.
An ozone generator may be a big ask :rolleyes:
Yeh, the second part of the comment didn't come out where I said exactly that. One assumes that one thinks they types was typed. But he is technically closer to the ozone hole at the southern end of the globe, so....

Bwana Kiko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 27, 2021
Uganda
Thanks all for all your advice, and the banter is always enjoyable too.

True that I don't have, (or know of) an ozone generator in Uganda! The idea that hot water runs out my tap is also a First World assumption ???

I'll give you an update in the next couple of days, I have been able to really get to it yet.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Thanks all for all your advice, and the banter is always enjoyable too.

True that I don't have, (or know of) an ozone generator in Uganda! The idea that hot water runs out my tap is also a First World assumption ???
OH, my, am I caught out! Quite right. So, out of the kettle I'd let it cool five minutes or so off the boil.

Please don't scald you hands, and do let us know how she works for you!

Bwana Kiko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 27, 2021
Uganda
Ok friends,

An update: couldn't wait two days...so I rinsed it with warm water which seemed to loosen more gunk up. I was a little concerned about the water and the leather casing and the heat of the water seemed to activate oxidation on the stem so I tried the salt and alcohol method too. (Turns out my Canadian co-worker was good for some rum) leaving it overnight to soak.

After cleaning and cleaning (I worked rum-soaked pipe cleaners through it for about 2 hours) it seemed like it was finally clean. I polished the leather, polished the stem, and left it in the tropical air to dry...

Looks beautiful.

And the best part.. It smokes GREAT!

I've just enjoyed a bowl of Half and Half in it in the Ugandan twilight!

Thanks for all your help!

Attachments

• 20210904_172722.jpg
    20210904_172722.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 7

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
Damn that was fouled up, Nicely done though bud. I find stems to be the most pain in the ass part of a major clean up. Rough bristle ones are great, but my lazy ass puts'em in a drill as soon as it starts to pass through to kinda scrub a bit faster. Soaking in Oxy-Clean first of course.

I myself like a Dremel with a conical stone to remove the bulk, then finish with a fine grit sanding drum.

You did some great work on that, I dont believe i'd have the patience to save that one.
Well done.

Last edited: