PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

docrameous

Can't Leave
May 6, 2019
Colorado
Decisions, decisions... Thinking of trying...

Rich Dark Flake
Brown Flake

Are there any others I should try based on your experience?

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
I enjoy the RDF but it is fairly subtle in flavor to me, nothing wrong with that. I enjoy it when in the mood.
I won’t go into the Stonehaven comparison since I assume you know the differences.

1820 I enjoy when in the mood for Oriental. Nice Latakia amount as well.

I have Brown Flake but have not got to it yet.

Try them all.

subsalac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 9, 2018
I enjoy the RDF but it is fairly subtle in flavor to me, nothing wrong with that. I enjoy it when in the mood.
I won’t go into the Stonehaven comparison since I assume you know the differences.

1820 I enjoy when in the mood for Oriental. Nice Latakia amount as well.

I have Brown Flake but have not got to it yet.

Try them all.

Why do they so often name tobaccos that aren't rich, rich, and those that aren't strong, strong? Maybe they expect us to eat them, then we could detect the richness and strength ?

tavol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2018
Special latakia flake, King Charles, Medium flake & Brown flake are all worth trying. Having said that most anything from Germains is worth trying if you like the genre of tobacco that blend happens to come from.

Jun 23, 2019
The only advise I have for someone chasing unicorns is to have a strong imagination!

But more seriously, why even bother trying Germain's at this point? It's beyond a hassle to get your hands on anything and what if you actually like something? Where do you go from there?

That said, my top three are:

Special Latakia
Royal Jersey Perique Mix
Balkan Sobraine

Does anyone in the US carry them anymore? I miss brown flake a lot

They still come through the usual suspects from time to time, but just in extremely limited numbers and they're usually scooped up by people with connections/resellers/email notifications before they're even entered into inventory.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and BROBS
Jun 9, 2018
England
I prefer the Medium Flake over the Brown. More sauce in the Medium, I think.
Yes the Medium Flake is tasty also, it has a nice orange/citrus topping. I'm smoking the Goldleaf Ready Rubbed at the moment and that tastes the same as the Medium Flake to my taste.
I love the Germain's blends because they are quite unique, I haven't smoked a vaper similar to their Royal Jersey Perique Mixture. Plumcake and Uncle Tom's are definitely on my to try list as well.

Reactions: mingc
Status
Not open for further replies.