PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

excav8tor

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2010
South Devon, England
The only S&G I have come across is "Salmon and Gluckstein". Beginning as small-time cigar manufacturers in London UK, by the turn of the 20th century Salmon and Gluckstein Ltd was the world's largest retail tobacconist, owning 140 shops in 1901. Salmon and Gluckstein Ltd was bought by Imperial Tobacco in 1902 and the brand was not dropped until 1955.
Very little is known about them as pipe manufacturers, and it would be fairly safe to assume that as retail tobacconists they would have more than likely sub-contracted the manufacture of pipes to another company. However, a book was printed in London in 1899 by Salmon and Gluckstein which showed a variety of pipes that were being made and offered for sale by this company.
As I said above, the tradename "Salmon & Gluckstein Ltd" stopped in 1955, so if your pipe is a true "Salmon & Gluckstien", it has to be pre-1955.
In addition to this, which makes me think that the pipe is not a "Salmon & Gluckstein", is that the trademark for "Salmon and Gluckstein" was S&G.LD with the D being superscript and underlined, within an oval. Here is a picture of the trademark
1751INGLESEBIS.jpg

Sorry, but that is all the info I know.

excav8tor

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2010
South Devon, England
Bewlay House was a chain of English pipe stores, who’s pipes were made by Barling, Charatan and Loewe, so the English considered the Bewlay pipes a quality pipe in its own right. The English brand of Bewlay & Co. Ltd. (formerly Salmon & Gluckstein Ltd.), was in business from the early 20th century until the 1950’s. The brand ended up being sold and taken over by Imperial Tobacco Co.
Maybe the answer lies with Bewlay!

excav8tor

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2010
South Devon, England
By the way, the reason I know a little about S&G is that I was bidding on one on eBay, and before I put my bid in I researched it.
As of 2 minutes ago I am now the proud owner of an 1899 S&G straight stemmed estate pipe.
I am beside myself with excitement of getting the pipe in the post, giving it a bit of a clean and then sitting back and smoking a pipe that is 111 years old.... all that for £8.68 ($13.38).
I just had to share that with you guys.

My new pipe

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
You guys might consider contributing what knowledge you can to the non-profit Pipe Logos Website

by providing photos of the pipe, stamping(s), and logos. To learn how, e-mail pipephil-67@yahoo.fr
I usually look there first when trying to id a pipe; but I couldn't find S&G there, so your info would fill a void.

excav8tor

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2010
South Devon, England
As soon as it arrives, I'll take some detailed photo's and post them on the forum. And yes cortezattic, I'll supply some info for them too. However, I am going to contact Imperial Tobacco, to see if they can help me with any further informaton both about the pipe, and also S&G Ltd as a company (including josephpaul's pics of his pipe). Maybe their archive dept. can provide some details to pass on to everyone.

I'll keep you all posted.

juozapas

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2010
Barrie,Ontario,CANADA
Have you ever seen this before ?? I think it's what the cigarette ladies use to wear when they were selling tobacco products...it's Briar...I should make one for the living room !!!

briarwithhosejpg3.jpg
briarwithhosejpg2.jpg

briarwithhose.jpg

duncan

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 28, 2010
New Jersey
It looks like a cigerette pipe of some sort. The hose looks like a smaller version of a hooka hose and the bit is similar also. More than likely they set it down on a table then smoked it like a pipe. Just my guess.

excav8tor

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2010
South Devon, England
I have seen a few of these types of pipes on the web. Duncan is close, it is a Table Pipe. As to the maker I am unsure. You'll have to have a close look for any markings on it.

I have even seen one that has 3 flexible stems coming out from the one bowl.

I am in NO way advertising this pipe, but there is a picture of a Savinelli 'Kalumet' Table pipe HERE

Status
Not open for further replies.