PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

textiger

Lurker
Feb 16, 2010
First one didn't post, going to try again.
I found this pipe while going through some of my grandfather's stuff. There are no distinguishing markings to determine who made it so I was wondering if anyone could help. Here are links to images of the pipe:
Pipe pic 1

Pipe Pic 2
The only distinguishing characteristics are the gold cap on the bowl and shank.
Thanks for you help!

textiger

Lurker
Feb 16, 2010
I haven't smoked it yet, since the stem is in really bad shape. I don't think it's the original stem just by the fact it's not your standard Bulldog stem. It had some tobacco still in the bottom of the bowl that had been there for who knows how long. I'm new to restoration, but think I will try the alcohol/salt in the bowl to clean it up a bit, then some Murphy's soap on the outside of the bowl.
I will try and get some better pictures of it. The iPhone just doesn't have that great a camera.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
I have no idea what brand of pipe that is, but I do know that the stem is definitely a replacement and not original. It looks like whoever used to smoke that pipe just took a stem that fit it and put it on.
The briar part looks really nice. I would have somebody make a replacement stem that suits the pipe more. Once it is cleaned up, I think it will look great.
Be sure to post some better photos. Some before and after shots from the cleaning.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Given the condition of the stem, and the fact that even it is not the original, may indicate that it was old even before your grandfather acquired it. I don't have a clue as to the maker; but I think I would take Kevin's advice and consult a restorer before you do something you might regret. A professional opinion can't hurt.

textiger

Lurker
Feb 16, 2010
The more I research, the more I think it might be an old Meerschaum that has weathered. I found a link to a similar one ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Fine-Old-Meerschaum-Pipe-w-14K-Gold-Banding_W0QQitemZ220554074196QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item335a0c1854
The coloring and caps are similar. My wife is going to take some better pics tomorrow that I will post to see if it helps shed some more light on the situation.
If it is a meerschaum, where could I get a stem similar to the one in the link?

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Textiger Said:

the more I think it might be an old Meerschaum that has weathered
Now that I looked at it again, I think you may be right. It is hard to tell from those photos though. It does look like it could be a Meer based on the sheen that it has and that would also explain the lack of any marking on it.
If it is a meer, it is quite old and has a great patina on it.
-------------------------------
Textiger Said:

where could I get a stem similar to the one in the link?
I would send it to a pipe repair place (Kevin has listed some) and have them make a stem for it. They can make a Lucite/Acrylic stem that would look close to the one in the link.
I am not sure if the one in the link is Lucite or Amber. If it is Amber, it will probably be very hard to get a replacement Amber stem. Amber also will cost a whole lot more if you are able to find it. You can get a Lucite/Acrylic stem that looks very similar and it will cost a lot less

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Also, if it is a Meerschaum, DO NOT do the salt/alcohol treatment on it!

Meerschaum is very porous and will soak the alcohol into the pipe and could make the meerschaum soft and brittle. Just clean the bowl out without using any liquids to get all of the old tobacco out. Maybe you fold a pipe cleaner in half and dip it into alcohol and lightly wipe the bowl out, but that would be as far as I would go.
And obviously, if it is a meer, don't use Murphy's Oil Soap on it, :).

textiger

Lurker
Feb 16, 2010
Kevin
Once I realized it might be a meer, I decided against the salt/alcohol treatment. Thanks for the heads up though.
My wife is taking it to a jewelery store today to see if the rims are really gold or just plating. After that I will probably send it somewhere to get a new stem made for it. Maybe a couple of weeks and it will be ready to smoke and look nice.

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
I seem to remember seeing some like yours before in an old mail order catalogue, like the one's Sears & Roebuck used to put out.

They were from the 1920's I think. The metal parts were actually, plated, and you could get then in silver or gold color.

I wish I could be more specific, but this old brain don't work like it used to.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Can anyone identify the maker of this freehand block meerschaum? It was called a Caveman. I picked it out from a broad selection on display at a B&M in downtown Wichita, Kansas in ~1967. So, although every "Caveman" is different, the pipe style is not unique. The chamois glove is something I stitched by hand to keep it clean. I just peeled it back because if I took it off completely I'd have to sew a new glove.

CavemanLeft.jpg

CavemanLeftBare.jpg

avemanRight.jpg

CavemanBottom.jpg

CavemanTopBare.jpg

CaveTop.jpg

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
That's a nice looking and unique pipe Cortez!
I like the name 'Caveman'. The name fits it well.
I think that it was made my the Tanganyika Meerschaum Corporation.
http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=Kiko

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Ya, it must be, because I'm dead-sure about the "Caveman" name; and the article you site mentions it specificly -- even though it's not pictured. It's not likely that anyone else in the meerschaum field would step on Tanganyika's trade name. Thanks for the info.

ps. It looks like a clumsy club of a pipe, but it's an ultra-featherweight! I think the chamois glove weighs more. Really! And it fits my right hand perfectly: the fingers just fall in place very comfortably.

josephpaul

Lurker
Jun 11, 2010
Hello all, I just got this on ebay and wondered if anyone has ever heard of S & G Pipes? This is a billiard pipe with S & G Anniversary mark in an oval shape on the left side of the shank, London England 9436 on the other side of the shank. There's also a stylized SG mark on the left side of the stem. Judging from the depth of the number impression, my guess is that 94 was the year it was made. The only S & G that I can find record of is a tobacco company in London called Salmon & Gluckstein. Not sure how she smokes yet - I'll fire her up this evening and let you know.
P.S. I'm trying to figure out the photo upload - until then here are the links...
http://www.kodakgallery.com/imaging-site/services/doc/5413:312029447114/jpeg/BG/async

http://www.kodakgallery.com/imaging-site/services/doc/5412:213619447114/jpeg/BG/async

http://www.kodakgallery.com/imaging-site/services/doc/5394:716019447114/jpeg/BG/async

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
JP, the links are not working.
Read this thread to learn how to post photos in your posts:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/instructions-for-posting-pictures

josephpaul

Lurker
Jun 11, 2010
Okay, I think I figured out the picture upload procedure. Take a look at the S&G Anniversary... anyone ever heard of these pipes?

sgpipetiki.jpg

sganniversarymark.jpg

sg_london.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.