PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

filmshooter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2017
I am new to the pipe and have found a love for English and Balkans and now Lakelands, but early on I bought some admirals choice vanilla and I still like it.

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
Captain Black is what I always went to when out of Captain Spice. It had a lot less vanilla, though. If CB is what you find close to you, the Admiral's Choice might be more enjoyed or Peter Stokkebye Black Cavendish. His blends labeled Vanilla are not Black Cavendish so have a totally different flavor.
Think im going to add some CB original to my next order and a couple of these other ones...

inquisitor3

Lurker
Jun 20, 2017
Admiral's Choice gets my vote. It is also 1/2 of the recipe of an ASP recipe favorite called, I think, "Cajun Half n Half", which was 1 part Admiral's Choice to 1 part McClelland 5100 Red Cake.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Selectively, bag tobacco can be a good smoke, not all brands but some of the good ones. It's easy on the budget and many versions can make a good mix with other blends, as pointed out on this thread.

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
Thanks fellas. I have Capt BLack original and Gentleman Caller, just waiting for a moment to smoke them. Ill definitely write back, but this captain black smells like it might be a winner.

loborx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 20, 2011
Dream Castle has a bag blend called "Gold Burley". It was sold as a value bulk bag at CVS and also I as Admiral's Choice in cans before CVS got out of tobacco products all together. This may be a candidate in your search. It is boiler plate burley with a light chocolate note. Very "Grandpa's Pipe" aroma. Not much of a smoke on its own but I still have a jar in the cellar that I use for blending when I feel creative. :puffy:

May 4, 2015
Any chance your family members have any of your grandfathers effects? I think rather than purchasing every conceivable OTC (though that can be fun in its own right), if any of his things remain, surely an empty pouch can be found among them. I'd also scour family photos for some evidence!

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
I'll be surprised if it's not Captain Black Original (White). If you discover that it is indeed your Grandfather's tobacco, you then might consider trying Lane RLP-6, a bulk version that I find identical to Captain Black Original.

I'm curious as to what you find - it was the smell of my own Grandfather smoking his pipe that interested me in smoking a pipe. When I was in college, it was my Grandfather who showed my how to smoke a pipe & gave me my first pipe (a WDC Wellington I still have!).

Status
Not open for further replies.