PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cabinfever

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2016
My brother-in-law lives more than 1000 miles away in Texas. When we get together - about once a year - we sit outside, smoke imported cigars, and solve world problems. Traditionally, we give each other cigars as gifts for birthdays.
Now that I have enjoyed my pipe smoking hobby for a while, I would like to introduce my BIL to it. I am still a newbie at pipe smoking, so I come to this forum for advice and information, which I greatly appreciate. BIL has no idea that I have started pipe smoking.
So, I need your advice/recommendations again! Here is my question, I would like to gift my BIL with a pipe and tin/pouch or two of tobacco for his birthday. I don't want to spend more than $40, consequently I think this means his first pipe will be a MM cob.
Any recommendations on tobacco for a true beginner? I would like to get him tobacco(s) that almost anyone (especially a beginner) would enjoy. I was thinking of Carter Hall, but CH is so "ordinary." I would like to impress him with a "fancy" or imported tobacco that is very enjoyable in both taste and smoke aroma.
Thanks in advance!

theosprey247

Can't Leave
Feb 29, 2016
Buy one of those corn cob samplers that P&C sells. I believe they also have some other samplers that include a pipe (briar) and tobacco.

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
A cob and pouch of Carter would be what 10-15 dollars? Plenty of room leftover to pick up a tin of something "fancy", maybe find a cleaned up Grabow or older American Briar online with the rest.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I would think that for a birthday present, one would strive to give something you know the recipient would enjoy. If you are determined to force him to try the pipe save the pipe and tobacco for his next visit. Or, if you are determined to make him try a pipe, gift him an MM and a sampler of blends. Serving up a blend to a non-pipe smoker is really iffy, I think. Although there may be some way of determining how his tastes run from the cigars he most enjoys. I find the pipe and cigar too dissimilar for such though.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
If you give him a quality flake such as John Aylesbury Luxury Flake. He will love the pipe. I also sent you a pm about a pipe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think the MM cob and sampler are probably the way to go. If I could buy only one tobacco, I think I'd go with PC (Russ O.'s) Log Cabin or Iwan Ries Three Star Blue. For a cob, I think I'd get the MM Dagner that comes with an acrylic stem. If you have accumulated a variety of tobacco, you could give him a sampler from your personal collection in baggies or small canning jars with an ounce each. I always tell newbies on Forums, don't buy more than an ounce or two at a time for a year or two, and don't throw or give away any tobacco. He may not continue to like what he likes at first, and he might grow to like what he doesn't. So keep buying in small quantities, and graduate to two ounces, or four ounces only over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.