Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
Howdy.
So, I'm headed home in August from South Korea for a friends wedding and I am gathering bulk blends for when I get home. I'll only be home for 3 weeks so I want to capitalize on cellaring some blends that I like for when I finally move back home next year.
As of now, in my shopping cart, I have 2.5lbs of tobacco, which includes:
8oz PS LNF

8oz Newminster no.400 SNF

8oz Sutliff 515 RC-1

8oz Sutliff Virginia Slice

8oz MacBaren HH ODF RR
I want to add an English/Balkan to the mix. I am not a huge English/Balkan smoker, but I do enjoy them once in a while. My favorite at the moment is SPC Plum Pudding.
Now I know that no bulk blends are going to be like Plum Pudding, but I have narrowed it down to 3 English/Balkan blends that hopefully I can get some insight on.
The list is:
PS 17 English Luxury

PS 52 Proper English

Arango Balkan Supreme
Can any of you elaborate on these or give me some advice?

odobenus

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
Hey, I’ve smoked the hell out of those three you name — each has its positive qualities, though I had to quit smoking English Luxury after it began consistently leaving a sour aftertaste in my mouth. It is also too sweet for me now (the Cav), and I wish it didn’t have Burley in it.

To my palate, though as you say none are like Plum, Proper English is closer because Balkan Supreme is far more Oriental-forward. I’m still not sure how Plum Pudding gets called a Balkan but that’s a rabbit-hole. That being said, I find Proper English to be a solid B smoker, nothing to write home (from S. Korea) about, while Balkan Supreme has qualities that make it more attractive to me. Just my cents here.

spartacus

Lifer
Nov 7, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
I have smoked all three of those. The only one I cellar from that group is Arango Balkan Supreme. They are all good blends but for me the Arango stands out.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Balkan Supreme is very good. If you like that interplay between the Latakia and Orientals, it really delivers in spicy spades. It's just got that great Balkan funk. It compares favorably to many tinned Balkans, and it's downright cheap!A great choice.
If you haven't already decided, I would also suggest H&H Larry's Blend. Also, Watch City Cigar Ahab's Comfort. They bill it as their take on Penzance. I've only had about 5 bowls of both, but well, it doesn't seem that far off! Same cut as Plum Pudding, but I don't remember the latter's taste enough to compare.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Hey, I’ve smoked the hell out of those three you name — each has its positive qualities, though I had to quit smoking English Luxury after it began consistently leaving a sour aftertaste in my mouth. It is also too sweet for me now (the Cav), and I wish it didn’t have Burley in it.
Agree on the English Luxury. Just acquired some among a bunch of others, and had not smoked it for several years. In addition to the above comments, it's the one tobacco that crackles while it burns, and I have dried it a fair amount. Back to more dry time. This one is not for me, nor the gentleman from whom I purchased same!

laniromee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2018
Kramer's Father Dempsey is a favorite of mine. It's too cheap for its quality.

But my favorite one is probably Boswell Northwoods - latakia and cavendish melding perfectly together.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
I am not as big on Balkan Supreme as some members. The PS 52 is a great English (personal nomenclature, I do not consider it a Balkan). Sutliff Balkan II is my favorite bulk Balkan. I have not found a bulk comparable to SPC Plum Pudding Reserve. I agree with your take on Luxury English. I believe that it is due to the burley (which makes it an American/English by my personal classifications).

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I was going to post "if you like SPC Plum Pudding you should try Dreams of Kaddath" but then I noticed you're looking for bulks which DoK is not. But then I thought "what the heck, maybe he's never tried and might like the suggestion anyway". So there's that.
So I'm not sure if I'll post the suggestion or not but I've been at work too long and have too many random thoughts in my head so... :crazy:

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
I;ve decided to just end up purchasing 1oz of each and going from there. I don't think I can commit to 8oz of one of them yet. Thanks for the input.

samw74

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 28, 2017
New York , NY
My ‘goodnight’ is usually a Balkan or English blend. When it’s Balkan night, I’ll likely be smoking Arango Balkan Supreme, Hearth and Home BlackHouse and SPC Plum Pudding Special Reserve. Go for the Arango BS the , I find it to closest

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Help Me Choose An English/Balkan Bulk"
With all due respect Sir, no-one can help you choose on such a subjective thing as tobacco.
What tastes fine to me might be positively awful to you and vice versa.
Some VaPer lovers (such as I) love McClelland's #2015 but others shy away from it. It's all a personal thing.
The thing you need to do is sample as many blends of that ilk until you find the one that flicks your switch.
Some love sprouts yet others hate them, some hate broccoli but others love it.
Basically it's down to personal preferences.
BTW, I love both sprouts and broccoli but hate peas ☺
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.