PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
My take;
Sit on your budget for a month and watch it grow. Meanwhile scour the secondary market for a Deluxe pipe made before 1990 or any pre-republic Pete. As a whole the pre-republic made pipes are simply made to a much higher standard, even the run of the mill pipes. Every Deluxe that has crossed my path made before '90 has been made with at least as much care and attention to detail as just about any artisan made pipe in my chest.
That attention to detail is a large part of what makes a quality pipe and is the easiest part to finagle. The briar seems to be the big question mark and even the biggest of the big pipe-lords do occasionally let slip a first rate pipe from a turd rate block of briar.
Or you could just ignore all this and buy a 999 or an 80's in whatever finish meets your budget cuz those shapes are baller

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
@todd
I paid nothing for shipping and it was here in like 3 days. I ended up paying I think about $80 less than what it was being sold in the states for. That model has since come down slightly here so the difference now is around $50.

toddryan84

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2017
@bigpond
Unfortunately, that IS my budget. I don't make much at my job and I have a lot of bills and I just cannot justify spending over 100 on a pipe. My most expensive pipe was my Rattray's Bulls and Dogs Sandblast, it's a great pipe, but it was a bit expensive for what it is. I'm sticking with under 100 for a while, that or getting a nice estate pipe, although I've been weary about estate pipes.

ahmadothman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
The Donegal Rocky is an excellent series, quite renowned as well. and normally it's 96$ on smokingpipes.com

markus

Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
I have 7 Peterson pipes, all of which are great smokers.

Most of my pipes are textured, just because I prefer sandblasted and rusticated pipes, there's something about the way they feel in the hand.

I love the bent pipes a little more as well, not sure why though.

I had one problem with the stain on a smooth, bent 2014 Father's Day Pipe (XL02), where some of the stain came off on my hand the first time I smoked it . It still looks nice and the stain looks fairly even, although it is a bit lighter, which is fine because it shows the nice grain a little more now.

Other than that, I haven't had any problems with any of the other Peterson pipes that I have.

I seem to prefer Peterson pipes these days, I just love the stout designs and the substantial feel that they have.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

toddryan84

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2017
@Ahmad Othman
Yes I like those too, but I am looking to get a smooth pipe as all of mine are sandblasted/rusticated.
@markthelad
I'm really feeling the clontarf right now...I might pull the trigger on one and I've checked a few places and they seem to be sold out or down to their last few so I might have to jump on them.

toddryan84

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2017
I'm liking this one quite a bit too!
Peterson_St_Patricks_Day_Pipe_2016_01_Fishtail_kit__18325.1452698092.1280.1280.jpg

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Todd Ryan , this is very good price , I have owned one of these St Patric's Day pipes and Its pretty much in the same cathegory with the Aran line Up, expect for added bad, mine was model of 606 Pot,there was one only downside to it,a heavy weight same way as this in the picture is supposed to be, + the bowl chamber has quite a capasity, but taken the price I consider this pretty affordable deal,definitely this will serve you years to come, thas for sure.Greets, Paul

pipedreams86

Might Stick Around
Nov 25, 2016
toddryan84 I got my Harp 03 shape from mysmokingshop.co.uk for roughly $94...shipping is cheap from them around the world, really great customer service too...they even got hold of a pipe that I was looking for recently that I couldn't find anywhere, allowed me to specify the exact shape/style I was wanting of that pipe and they managed to get hold of it for me and held it by so I could order it from them...

pipedreams86

Might Stick Around
Nov 25, 2016
P.s. I would also highly recommend Savinelli pipes if you are on a budget...I have a few now and will definitely be getting more...they have great pipes for your budget

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Dollar for dollar, French pipes are above their price points in quality, so if you vere from Petes, now or later, take a look at those. Chacom and BC have many pipes below $100 comparable to other brands at $120 and above, in my opinion.

toddryan84

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2017
Dollar for dollar, French pipes are above their price points in quality, so if you vere from Petes, now or later, take a look at those. Chacom and BC have many pipes below $100 comparable to other brands at $120 and above, in my opinion.
My first Briar was a BC Rocbrune and I love it, I do get some gurgle in it from time to time (probably more my doing than anything else) but I really like that pipe quite a bit and I've been looking at a few of the BC pipes today.

toddryan84

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2017
@paulie
I do really like it, it's quite an attractive pipe and for that price it's hard to beat!

toddryan84

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2017
P.s. I would also highly recommend Savinelli pipes if you are on a budget...I have a few now and will definitely be getting more...they have great pipes for your budget
I've heard great things about Savinelli pipes but idk what my aversion towards them is, for some reason I am just never interested in them, or any of the Italian pipes for that matter and I'm not sure why. lol

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Todd that's a nice looking pipe.
Savinelli's also are great but I also really need to recommend Ropp. I've got one and it's great. I think it was $47. It's in the Etudiant line. You can buy two pipes and still stay under your budget.
I've got a Chacom and I would recommend it but the draw is very tight where as my Ropp it's an open enough of a draw.

toddryan84

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2017
Fitzy,
This is a very nice pipe, even though it's rusticated. I'll have to checkout Ropp a bit more
002-598-4338.jpg

markus

Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
@Toddryan, I like your taste. after you mentioned the Clontarf, I had to look it up and I must say, those are some good looking pipes, I like this one particularly well.

002-029-33192.jpg

toddryan84

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2017
@markthelad
That is the exact one I have been interested in, I have been debating between that and a few other shapes. lol
Tough choices ahead!

Status
Not open for further replies.