PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Trying to date this recent acquisition. It was filthy. Just restored it. The thing that throws me is there is no clover anywhere on the stem. No way this is a replacement stem though. So, what gives?

On the stinger... "DRINKLESS REG. 21358 or 21359 or 21350" (last number hard to make out). Any insight much appreciated.

IMG_6865.jpegIMG_6864.jpegIMG_6866.jpegIMG_6867.jpegIMG_6868.jpeg

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
My guess it’s pre 1938, and the stem was replaced as there appears to be tooling marks on the stinger body threads. Either way, sharp pipe.

Reactions: wyfbane

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I have a much easier time believing the stem was replaced than I do Kaywoodie forgot the the clover. I had a Kaywoodie 72 with a replacement stem. It was well done but, no clover.

Mike S.

Reactions: wyfbane

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Contact crashthegrey, he's a member here who is a collector of Kaywoodie's and sells them on his site greywoodie.com. At least, check out his site...a lot of Kaywoodie history can be found there.

Reactions: Humblepipe

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I love Kaywoodies. That one is really nice. I agree the stem is a replacement, but you shouldn't be shocked at the workmanship. It was the time of workmen. Quality was more valued then, not like our disposable society today. That is why I am so impressed with our community here. For the most part we all still value quality work and highly respect those who can help us with our pipes.

Reactions: Humblepipe

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
It is odd that the clover is missing. It this is a replacement stem it was masterfully well done, since it includes anchoring the stinger and clocking the stem correctly.

It is probably the best executed replacement stem I have put my hands on and I have restored over 400 pipes. Probably done years ago too.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
That shape in a four digit number dates it to 1935 to 1938. I have to assume the stem is an incredibly done replacement as well. The pipes would sometimes walk without the shank stamping, but the clover is almost always there. It's not hard to get the alignment right on a replacement as you can heat it and twist. But gorgeous pipe regardless of the authenticity or not of the stem.

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
That shape in a four digit number dates it to 1935 to 1938. I have to assume the stem is an incredibly done replacement as well. The pipes would sometimes walk without the shank stamping, but the clover is almost always there. It's not hard to get the alignment right on a replacement as you can heat it and twist. But gorgeous pipe regardless of the authenticity or not of the stem.

Thank you, sir.

Reactions: crashthegrey
Status
Not open for further replies.