PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

ChippewaAce

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2021
Tennessee
Hey all - I'm having a tough time finding much information on this Billiard (at least I'm pretty sure it's a billiard, though I've been smoking for years, I'm new to ID'ing pipe shapes).

It's marked "Fifth Avenue Cigar Store" on one side and "Made in England" on the other. It has some beautiful grain and I'm sure would look even better restored. It doesn't draw extremely well, though I think that may be due in part to the stinger installed, which doesn't seem to want to be easily extracted.

From what little I've found online, a couple folks seem to think that it's a Dunhill made for a "Fifth Avenue Cigar Store", perhaps in NYC? Would love to hear the experts thoughts and knowledge here! Thank you all for your time!

Attachments

• IMG_9602.jpg
    IMG_9602.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_9603.jpg
    IMG_9603.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_9604.jpg
    IMG_9604.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_9605.jpg
    IMG_9605.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_9606.jpg
    IMG_9606.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_9607.jpg
    IMG_9607.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 25

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Ok cool, I appreciate that insight. Are stinger shapes typically good indicators of the maker?
They certainly can be. A trick on getting stingers out is to put a pipe cleaner through one of the holes at the top (assuming it has one) and wrap the pipe cleaner around the stinger to get more of a grip and turn it counter clockwise. It most likely is screw fitted. Some alcohol can be dripped in from the slot if needed. Recently removed a Sasieni Old England stinger with the pipe cleaner trick, I was surprised how relatively easy it came out.

Last edited:

ChippewaAce

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2021
Tennessee
yeah doesn't strike me as a Dunhil. I always feel kind of cold to dunhills. This seems like a generally fine pipe to me so probably not a dunhil. You never know though sometimes a pipe is made by that last person you suspect.

Haha gotcha! Man I've had it for quite a while because I really like the shape!

Reactions: anotherbob

ChippewaAce

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2021
Tennessee
They certainly can be. A trick on getting stingers out is to put a pipe cleaner through one of the holes at the top (assuming it has one) and wrap the pipe cleaner around the stinger to get more of a grip and turn it counter clockwise. It most likely is screw fitted. Some alcohol can be dripped in from the slot if needed. Recently removed a Sasieni Old England stinger with the pipe cleaner trick, I was surprised how relatively easy it came out.

10-4! I've started to do a little more reading on stingers, so we'll see what might turn up. That's a great tip about getting one out, I'll give it a go and see if it smokes better without it if I can get it out!