PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

twangthang

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
Hi,

So the bidding is over and I won.

I love the shape and the idea of owning an antique pipe. I have a few older pipes, but this may be the elder statesman of my collection.

I am looking for some help getting some details about the pipe. I’ll post the auction and if necessary I’ll post some more pics when I receive it.

The seller states it may be a Barling. After staring at the case I am not convinced. He also states it has an amber stem. Not too sure about that either.

Any help with dating and any other info would be appreciated. Also looking for suggestions for someone to restore it to hopefully smokeable condition.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Barling-Meerschaum-Amber-Smoking-Pipe-with-Case-amp-Sterling-Silver-Band-/362528602316?nma=true&si=MGf6sfW%252BUZsjZjpJ1VipOKPfjnE%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Very nice! Can you make out the letters that are mostly obscured?
s-l1600.jpg

twangthang

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
I won’t receive it for a few days. I have been staring at this pic for a while and the first two letters certainly look like a B and an A, that’s all I can make out though.

Thanks for posting the picture for me.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It's not a Barling. The silver band is the wrong shape for Barling silverwork, the stampings are wrong. The makers mark "EB over WB" is not present and the word "sterling" is stamped on the band, which you never see on Barling silver mounted pipes. The case isn't a Barling case. It lacks the Barling imprint. There is the tantalizing beginning of a name in quotes that looks like it could be "Bar...", but that's about it.
The seller loses nothing by making the suggestion, even though he/she could have easily verified the attribution prior to posting. But that would have required a shred of honesty.
It IS a nice piece, and if everything is in good order, including the amber stem, you will have made a great addition to your collection.
EDIT: In addition, there is the remnant of a different sterling makers mark, letters enclosed in a circle, so that also points to it not being a Barling. I see that upon further reading, the seller says flatly that this is a Barling. He's either ignorant or a crook. I'll go with crook. Nonetheless, the pipe itself is a nice piece, whoever made it.

twangthang

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
Thanks for the response. I kind of knew going in there was no way it was a Barling. I am ok with that. I really wanted something with age.

I really think crook is a strong word. LoL... It was more about increasing profit.

leafsmoker

Can't Leave
Oct 26, 2017
Indiana, USA
It looks like the spelling is barter or barler . It definitely looks like a er at the end of it? I absolutley love that coloring. A great looking pipe. Enjoy!

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
I think the fact that the name is in quotes suggests that it's a model, not a manufacturer. There are unfortunately a number of models that began with "Ba" (scores are listed in "Who Made That Pipe"); from the image in the eBay listing the third and fourth letters are vague, and the following ones illegible. You might try gently cleaning the felt if you care to take the risk of losing what you're trying to recover; I suspect some of what looks to be lettering is really what restoration professionals at the Met call schmutz. Likewise a cleaning of the silver band, or at least trying to lift an image with graphite and tracing paper, might yield more clues. But in any case, like Jesse I don't believe it's a Barling. I do think it's very cool however; great pipe!

twangthang

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
Well I received the pipe today and adventure ensued. Hope this post gets a bump up and some more observations.

I realize that the seller hid a chip on the front of the bowl. If you check the auction he keeps the bowl turned with the chip away from all of the shots. I am not too upset at this. the chip is cosmetic.

I should have realized the stem might be a problem, there were no pictures on the auction of the stem removed. It was frozen and would not yield a bit. While trying to photograph the pipe I dropped it and the stem snapped off. I left a picture below. It does look like glue residue, but perhaps it is built up tar.

I took a picture of the stamp as close as I could get. It is a capitol P followed by a period and anything else is buffed off inside a pipe shape. There is no other stamping except for the word Sterling.

The seller did a much better job of getting man image from the case.The first letter , capital B and all the way at the end what looks like it could be "ing".

My first impression of the stem was that it was some plastic, softer piece. Possibly a replacement, but I did a little scratch test and it seemed to be hard like glass or stone. I don't know if amber can have a swirl pattern, so I am not sure what material it is.

After doing more harm than good to the pipe in the short time I had it in my possession I decided to call Ric at Briarville and that was possibly the best thing I could have done.

I reboxed it and sent it to him. Hopefully he can make it right.

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
I think your stem was 1930s Catalin. It can feel glassy. It's not amber, that's for sure. Gorgeous pipe, though. What's more, I don't think that's a pre-color job, but actual color from very heavy, prolonged smoking!

Status
Not open for further replies.