Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

kayda

Lurker
Jan 14, 2016
I have just recently bought 2 pipes from the 1930's but I can't find out what the makers mark is.
It has HB in an oval.I will try and get a picture on if I can.
Thanks in advance.

kayda

Lurker
Jan 14, 2016
I don't think it's anything special but I would just like to know.
Once again thank you.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
kayda:
Welcome aboard, Sir!
Based upon information contained in Jose Manuel Lopes' book titled "Pipes - Artisans and Trademarks" my best guess is that the HB stands for Hirschl & Bendheim. About HB Mr. Lopes states, "North American brand produced between the late 19th and early decades of the 20th century by Hirschl & Bendheim."
I hope that this information is helpful.

kayda

Lurker
Jan 14, 2016
Thank you very much huntertrw I have been looking for days for information and just keep drawing blanks. The shop that was selling these pipes shut in 1930 and it's in the UK would that make any difference. Is the book that you mentioned still available.
Once again thank you

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
kayda:
If you are certain that this pipe was sold in Great Britain, then Mr. Lopes's book indicates that the "HB" stood for Harwood Brothers of Liverpool.
I purchased my copy of his book (copyright 2005) a few years back via a seller on eBay. A search there, or via Amazon, might turn up another for sale.

kayda

Lurker
Jan 14, 2016
Huntertrw

I'm pretty sure that the shop was in the UK I'm in UK and the postal address from where it is is the other side.

Thank you again for your help and I will definatly have a look for the book.
Once again thankyou

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
I'm pretty sure huntertrw is right about Harwood Brothers being the maker of your pipe. The HB in the oval looks very similar if not identical to the logo they used in advertisements dating back at least to the twenties.
Harwood Brothers is pretty obscure. All I can tell you is that it was founded in Liverpool sometime between 1905 and 1911 by two brothers named Edwin Collier Harwood (1875-1929) and Thomas Harwood (1878-1923). They look to be the first of their family to enter the tobacco-related business; certainly their father, another Thomas (1841-1895), was a veterinary surgeon. He had married Maria Collier (1848-1928) in 1871.
In 1891, a few years before his father died, Edwin was listed as a clerk in an insurance office; by 1901 that had changed. Edwin was a dealer in fancy goods (i.e. pipes and related paraphernalia), and by 1911 he and his brother were both listed as tobacconists' sundrymen. I'm not sure when they made the move from importers to manufacturers, but believe it was no later than 1918.
Younger brother Thomas was the first to die, in 1923, while older brother Edwin passed away half a dozen years later. Fortunately for the business they had established Edwin married in 1912, and produced heirs to carry on. Edwin's wife's name was Frances Louise Farr (1882-1980), and they had at least four children together: Stephen Spender (1913-1993), Douglas Stuart (1917-1990), Clifford Collier (1919-1989), and Frances Jean (1922-?).
Of these apparently only Stephen Spender and Douglas Stuart entered the family business. Stephen married Veronica Ashton in 1954, and they had at least three children (Robert, Hazel, and Andrea). Douglas married Barbara Raws in 1949, and they appear to have had only had one children, Laurence.
The business still exists today, but evidently went dormant some time ago. It appears to have been active at least into the fifties. For the last twenty years, however, financials suggest residual assets but no revenue. Laurence is the key shareholder, and controls what's left of Harwood Brothers Ltd.
The company occupied several addresses in Liverpool over the years. Is there an address, or any other printing on the box the pipes are in? It might help narrow the date of manufacture for your pipes.
Best,

Jon

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Well Jon, glad you could tell us at least a little bit about Harwood Brothers. :wink:

kayda

Lurker
Jan 14, 2016
That is awesome J guss I'm blown away I have searched harwood brothers but didn't get any of the information that you have come up with.
Thank you do much when I get a chance after work I will have a look on the box for a date and let you know
It is true what they say about the online pipe community friendly and helpful.
Thank you

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Hi Kayda,
You're very welcome.
Please check for any and all writing on the box, pipe, tobacco pouch, etc. You never know what will be helpful.
Best,

Jon

kayda

Lurker
Jan 14, 2016
I have just got home there is no address on the box but I have noted on one of the pipes it say HB free and easy any ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.