Help Identifying a Pipe and My Detective Attempt.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

addamsruspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9) - Bob

So I got this pipe not to long ago with the only marking on it being Bruyere and made in France. So not much to go on. I checked Pipedia and google, but with such generic terms it was a bust. So I just enjoyed the pipe and let it go. Now the pipe has some pretty distinctive flower carvings on it and lettering for the Bruyere. Well today I was skimming through ebay and found a pipe with a pretty similar flower carving on a BBK pipe. Did some research and found other BBK pipes that had similar examples of the same style of flower and one with the same style of lettering for the Bruyere. Enough similarities to make think it was a possibility that it was somehow related to BBK. Now my pipe was make in France not Switzerland where BBK is being listed as being made and is not the farmer/hunter style that they seemed to make the most of. But I then noticed that Josef Brunner the pipe maker that started BBK spent time in France between 1871 and 1878. So wondered if this could be a pipe that he made before going back to Switzerland and starting BBK. I don't know if author shapes were even made back then. Here is the blurb from Pipedia and the first pictures is mine and the others are the BBKs. Thoughts?
-
Josef Brunner, oldest son of the farmer Konstantin Brunner from the hamlet Nieder-Huggerwald, belonging to the community of Kleinlützel (Canton Solothurn), was sent in 1871 to a pipe turner in Winkel / Alsace for his apprenticeship. As was usual at that time, Brunner wandered as a journeyman after ending the apprenticeship. Eventually, he went to Saint-Claude, which was then the world's stronghold of briar pipe manufacturing. There, Brunner was able to increase and deepen his knowledge in the field of industrial pipe making.
Back home in 1878, he installed a small turner's workshop in the house of his father. With the energetic support of his two younger brothers, he began to produce tobacco pipes of his own calculation, taking them to the markets in the surrounding area.
-

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Chasing Embers
Status
Not open for further replies.