30 Fresh Brigham Pipes
18 Fresh Barling Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

This raises more questions than it answers. Interesting share.

This paper has found Calcium Malate, but it also found traces of salts of other organic acid. The previous papers also found salts of other organic acids. Given it worked on a sample, it might be safer to say salts of organic acids.

Three questions

1. Why some tobacco blooms more frequently than others ?

2. What is the source of Calcium or the other metals ?

3. Why do we say bloomed tobacco tastes better?

• Love
Reactions: woodsroad and mingc

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains

This paper has found Calcium Malate, but it also found traces of salts of other organic acid. The previous papers also found salts of other organic acids. Given it worked on a sample, it might be safer to say salts of organic acids.

Three questions

Good questions. Big tobacco and their research arms are dead, so we'll almost certainly never know. And we would not have known what they had found if a court hadn't forced the disclosure of these documents.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019

Three questions

Actually, pages 7 and 8 of the document addresses, in part, your question 1.

Reactions: cshubhra

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA

Three questions

Is this looking at raw leaf, or processed leaf?
I ask that because most tobacco is processed with an anti-fungal. One of the common anti-fungals used is calcium propionate, which can precipitate out on the surface of processed leaf.

Reactions: cshubhra

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
Is this looking at raw leaf, or processed leaf?
I ask that because most tobacco is processed with an anti-fungal. One of the common anti-fungals used is calcium propionate, which can precipitate out on the surface of processed leaf.
The report looked at an unidentified "dark flake tobacco" as well as the constituent leaves "used for Dark Flake Tobaccos." No propanoic acid/calcium propionate was reported.

Reactions: woodsroad

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
The report looked at an unidentified "dark flake tobacco" as well as the constituent leaves "used for Dark Flake Tobaccos." No propanoic acid/calcium propionate was reported.
Sure.
They were probably using mercury to control tobacco fungus back then!

Reactions: jpmcwjr

orvet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2023
Willamette Valley of Oregon
I have opened many cans of aged tobacco and seen the crystal formations on the tobacco. It always tasted fine, some of it even better than the newer versions of the same tobacco.

I did open one tin have an old burley mixture that had threads of mold all through it. I wasn't even tempted to try a bowl as it smelled like rotten pumpkins! That is the only can of tobacco I've seen that I can say for certain was moldy, but I have seen and smoked many cans with the crystal formations on the slices of flake tobacco. I don't recall seeing the crystal formations on blends that are not flakes.

Reactions: kcghost

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
If it looks like plume it is and if it looks like mold it is. Plume forms layer directly on the tobacco and adheres to the product, Mold, on the other hand, forms over tobacco and can be removed if need be but there's little to be gained by this. Once you have mold you it permeates the whole leaf even if you can't see it. And the smell is awful if it is mold.

You don't need a scientific definition or complete breakdown of its chemical properties. All you have to know is plume is good and mold is very bad. I have seen plume and mold in every type of tobacco imaginable.

Reactions: orvet