PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

John C.

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 7, 2020
Rhode Island
Hello to everyone from little Rhode Island.
I started my pipe smoking journey back in June. Part of it was due to the current pandemic, and wanting to find a way to relax and destress. The other part was a candle called warm tobacco, which reminded me of my Italian immigrant grandfather. He had a greenhouse he made from old storm windows, and he would go in there and either start his seeds in the spring or stock away seeds from his fall harvest. All the while he was puffing on his pipe with from what I recall was a pouch of Half and Half. The candle aroma would just take me back to that greenhouse. Well six months in and I can say the hobby in whole is just fascinating, from the variety of pipes, the tobaccos, and the people. Happy to have found this forum.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome aboard. I love the sound of that greenhouse made of storm windows. Cool. Supposedly I'm a sixth generation descendent of Roger Williams, not the pianist, but the founder of Rhode Island. Fascinating guy. He kept charming Britain for land and making trouble in the colonies. He took up for the indigenous population too, when they were often referred to as "the savages." Not all nice, but certainly an independent voice.

Reactions: Apipeinthewoods

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
We are, for most part, pipe smokers as you indicated in the body of the post. A piper is someone who has played a set of bagpipes for at least 7 yrs. Welcome to the forum :)

• Haha
Reactions: bnichols23

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
[QUOTE="bullet08, post: 36245239, member: 19082"
played a set of bagpipes for at least 7 yrs. Welcome to the forum :)
[/QUOTE]

I thought it took at least 10 to do it half-decent! ?

Reactions: bullet08

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
[QUOTE="bullet08, post: 36245239, member: 19082"
played a set of bagpipes for at least 7 yrs. Welcome to the forum :)

[/QUOTE]
It only takes 6 months to a year to learn. Problem is you have to squeeze the bag, blow into the bag, keep constant pressure of the bag, don't over blow into the bag, remember the music, control your fingers, and march around. And keep 4 reeds and the entire set up in condition to be played. Playing the music is the easy part x)

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
It only takes 6 months to a year to learn. Problem is you have to squeeze the bag, blow into the bag, keep constant pressure of the bag, don't over blow into the bag, remember the music, control your fingers, and march around. And keep 4 reeds and the entire set up in condition to be played. Playing the music is the easy part x)
[/QUOTE]
I think that's why they built the drone in, so you remember to keep squeezing!

Reactions: bullet08

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Welcome from the Central Coast of California!

1606684289849.png

You can put your location in your Profile—(please!—because people will forget!) That will save questions in the future as to where you live when you later mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc., etc..
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. Just country if you must.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I think that's why they built the drone in, so you remember to keep squeezing!
[/QUOTE]
All while wearing a kilt and dragging your exposed nuts thru the gorse.

Status
Not open for further replies.